Students take advantage of free rides

The U-PASS program has steadily gained riders since the beginning of the semester, although the number of boardings leveled off in October, according to data from Long Beach Transit. 

In October, about 5,600 Cal State Long Beach students, faculty and staff rode LBT a total of 101,000 times, an increase in boardings of almost 20 percent compared with September.

“With so many students riding it, it’s proved that it’s a viable means for alternative transportation,” said Brian Troutner, the Associated Students, Inc. treasurer.

The route used most by campus members is Passport D. Other frequently used routes are the 90s and Route 171.

LBT will add additional bus services to Passport D and 90s line buses to CSULB” beginning in February, according to LBT marketing manager Marcelle Epley.

The U-PASS program, which allows campus members to ride LBT for free, was introduced for a trial period of one month at the beginning of the semester. Due to the success of the program, it was extended for one year.

Mark Rudometkin, associate director of Parking and Access Services, said, “We’re happy with it,” although he added that, “We wish the number of [different] riders was a little bit higher.”

Even though he would like to see more people use the program, he said he is glad that those using it are taking such advantage of it. 

For about the past six months, LBT has had a 9- to 10-percent increase in overall ridership compared to last year, Epley said. Although Epley said the increase in ridership from CSULB is significant in their operation, the company attributes the large increase to higher gas prices.

Despite the higher ridership, LBT is facing a budget deficit because of state cuts in funding, and is considering a fare increase in January.

This will not impact the U-PASS, however, because CSULB’s contract lasts for a year, Rudometkin said.

“While we still have the contract, it will not affect anybody on the campus community,” he said.

When the contract is up at the end of September 2009, Rudometkin said the university will “talk with Long Beach Transit to see if this is a viable option to renew. That would be our first choice.” 

This year, the university paid about $200,000 for the program, according to CSULB President F. King Alexander.

Rudometkin said the university has considered doing a similar program with Orange County Transit Authority, but there aren’t enough riders.

“The ridership numbers just aren’t anywhere near where … it would be a viable option,” he said.

Many students who rode the bus before the creation of U-PASS said they appreciate the program.

Gretchen Noelle, a junior jewelry and metal major, said in the past she would use up all her laundry quarters for the bus.

“Now all my change can go to the laundry,” she said.

Although many students continue riding the bus as they did before, others have made a more drastic shift because of the U-PASS.

“I’ve been here for two years and this is my first year ever taking the bus,” said Elyse Adam, a senior fashion design and apparel merchandising major.  

Ryan Serrano, a junior psychology major, started riding the bus and said there are many things he likes about it.

“I think it’s awesome,” he said. “It’s lowered my stress level because I hate driving.”

Although students found a variety of benefits from the program, many said the financial savings are the best part.

“I love the fact that I don’t have to pay for transportation,” said Ji Hae Wiley, a senior communications major. “I’m a poor, starving student, and every little bit helps.” 

I started taking the bus recently too. I have my own car and everything and I’ve been driving myself to school for the past 5-6 years (that includes high school) so this is a drastic change for me. Plus, I feel so much more “cultured” and I see Long Beach in a different light because of the alternate form of transportation. I sorta like I’m a tourist in a whole new city. And it’s kind of embarrassing when you’re 20 and you tell people you don’t know how to take a bus.