Luke Skywalker comes to Cal State Long Beach

The force will be with Cal State Long Beach on Thursday when film actor Mark Hamill, known for his role as Luke Skywalker in the original “Star Wars” trilogy, visits campus.

Hamill will be speaking to students about his contribution to and his experience in the film industry. He will talk about acting in “Star Wars,” and readjusting his career after appearing in the successful blockbuster. There will be a question and answer session afterward.

The event is being put on in FA1-206 from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

by Surfside Productions, a student-run television production company on campus that also serves as an advanced seminar class for film students.

“Mark Hamill is the face of Star Wars, which is obviously one of every filmmaker’s favorite sci-fi movies,” said Annie Woo, a film student and an executive producer for Surfside Productions, in an e-mail. “And every single one of the guys in my class would die happy once they met him.”

Professor Stu Rosen is the adviser of the class. He spent many years in Hollywood working as a voice director, among other things, and worked with Hamill on several animated series like “The Legend of Prince Valiant” and “Phantom 2040.”

Surfside Productions is known for producing the television show “What’s Up Beach?!,” which airs weekly on Charter cable in Long Beach. They also take on outside clients for projects like commercials and training and recruitment videos. They are currently shooting a recruitment music video for the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department.

After his Luke Skywalker debut in 1977’s “Star Wars: A New Hope,” Hamill reprised his role in 1980’s “The Empire Strikes Back” and 1983’s “Return of the Jedi.” When the trilogy was finished, Hamill did a handful of other movies before finding a new niche: voice-acting.

He has done voices for more than 100 cartoons and video games, including The Joker in “Batman: The Animated Series” and most of its spin-offs. Most recently, he is Senator Stampingston in Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim show “Metalocalypse.”

Hamill has also dabbled in writing and directing. His 2004 mockumentary “Comic Book: The Movie” was praised in comedy circles.

“He has directed, produced and is also the voice of countless animated motion pictures,” Woo said. “Without a doubt, Mr. Hamill has much to offer to the students about working in the industry.”

Hamill is the first guest speaker Rosen will bring in through Surfside Productions, but he is looking forward to bringing more of his Hollywood contacts to campus. The event is free and all CSULB students are encouraged to attend.

i cant believe i missed this. of course, another missed event at uninformed CSULB.

is this open to the public, or is this just for students?

biggest star wars nerd in the newsroom. left too early to see this one. damn.