Students to vote on future fee increase

Students will see fee increases in the coming years, and the Cal State Long Beach athletics department is working to pass another.

The Student Fee Advisory Committee approved the request by the athletics department on Nov. 7 to send the Beach Legacy Fund proposal to referendum. The referendum will allow students to vote on the fund, which would increase student fees by $95 per fall and spring semester and $70 per summer term, starting with the fall 2010 class.

This means that currently enrolled students who continue their education in fall 2010 would not have to pay the fee.

Originally the referendum stated that the fee would be assessed for fall 2009, but during the committee meeting, David Benedict, the senior associate athletics director for external relations, said planning would take a year.

The athletic department also proposed that the Beach Legacy fee would be adjusted every three years from the date of passage to compensate for inflation.

Benedict and Wayne Stickney-Smith of the athletics department presented the referendum to the committee and answered questions about the proposal.

During the presentation, Benedict said that in 2007, athletics had the best year ever for fundraising, but there needs to be an increase in endowment funds in order to reach the level the department wants to be at.

The referendum argues that the CSULB campus lacks outdoor recreational facilities for all students, including those who are involved in club sports, intramurals or just want to play on campus.

The referendum states, “The collegiate experience reaches beyond the classroom and it is time to provide everyone with access to a physical plant that can enhance student development and community participation.”

The Beach Legacy Referendum claims that more than $1.6 million of unrestricted funds will become available for the University Community to improve campus life. Some of the improvements outlined in the referendum include creating scholarships for athletes, increasing operating budgets, and renovation and construction of athletic facilities.

The referendum will also allow for the construction of three lighted synthetic turf playing fields, a lighted track and field/soccer complex with a seating capacity of up to 5,000 people, restrooms, locker rooms and lights for the university swimming pool.

A subcommittee has been formed to oversee the referendum, plan how to publicize the pros and cons of the issue and present its recommendations to the entire committee. The members of the subcommittee are Doug Robinson, Erin Swetland, Chris Chavez, Brian Troutner, Amanda Thyden, Sharon Taylor, Marilei Denali and Jeff Yutrzenka.

If you really want to fund athletics let’s do this: raise the ticket price to those games them they have. That way those who supposedly care about our teams can make sure they get the money they need. Otherwise don’t force some economically suffering student who’s not interested in CSULB athletics to pay for your pleasure.

You’re asking the common man and woman to spend nearly 200 bucks for some overpriced athletes that in no way help them – that isn’t fair and it sounds a bit elitist.

In response to Jon:
    The facilities are fine? The NCAA has deemed the track unfit for competition. Our women’s soccer team plays night games with portable lights on a field that has broken more than one ankle. Our nationally ranked men’s baseball team has a joke of a practice field. I am an Engineering Major. We win LOTS of competitions both locally, nationally, and internationally, and we do get money to stay competitive, which is all this referendum is asking for. CSULB is last in its conference in support from student money, and one of the least in the CSU system. This isn’t asking enough money to bring back a football team, but to stay competitive.
    I’m not saying just vote Yes on this, I’m just saying look into it and make an informed decision.

Brian Troutner

My name is Brian Troutner. I am the ASI Treasurer and am on the Student Fee Advisory Committee. I would rather not be burned in a bonfire, but if you would like more information on this referendum, my door is open. USU-311. If you would like to yell at someone face to face about letting the students vote on this, thats cool too.

CSU landlord

It’s mind boggling that, given our current and projected state and national economic crisis, anybody in their right mind would attempt this farce. I’m a first-generation college student struggling to make ends meet and they aren’t meeting. Now CSULB wants to shove another frivolous fee down my throat? Yes, down MY throat. I will be here for another three years and will never see the benefits. I’m not here for “Better school spirit” as Tha Suber Duper Fan seems to be. If you want more school spirit, rejoin your high school cheerleading squad. I’m here for academics and that aspect is being denied because of skyrocketing costs. My parents can’t afford it so I have to pay my OWN way. If athletics “had the best year ever for fundraising” and can afford to unleash $1.6 million in “unrestricted funds” where is the need? My father has two ancient words for anybody that could be so reckless and irresponsible as to straddle future generations of students with debt; unmitigated gumption. NO MORE GROUNDBREAKINGS UNTIL THE ECONOMY IS RIGHT!!!

Invited to the next human bonfire at The Beach: The members of the subcommittee Doug Robinson, Erin Swetland, Chris Chavez, Brian Troutner, Amanda Thyden, Sharon Taylor, Marilei Denali and Jeff Yutrzenka. Feel free to BYOB and gas, if you can still afford it. I’ll bring the matches.

The facilities are fine. People go to state schools simply for the best bang for their buck. Things that everyone can use is fine but anything that takes out of a basic that everyone shares is stupid. Say for example the Engineering department produces people that actually are needed to make Long Beach be competitive. Why don’t they get a brand new building, new devices, and everything else that’s high tech.

Just vote No on this.

Tha Super Duper Fan

Our athletes need better facilities to play in. Better facilities = Better recruiting class = Better team = Better fan support from students = Better school spirit. The last item on that list is something that is sorely missing at CSULB. Upgrading facilities for the teams and intramurals/clubs will help fix that problem.

Non-Athletic Student Against the Fee

I’m already going to have to pay a fee for the student recreation center, something that will benefit non-athletic students. Why am I going to pay for a fee that will mainly benefit the athletes when my tuition is already what it is. Get real!