Alexander addresses ASI

President F. King Alexander said to Associated Students Inc. that the effects of the pending state budget on Cal State Long Beach are still unclear, at Wednesday’s ASI Senate meeting.

“It really is a house of cards,” Alexander said, referring to the uncertainty of what cuts will be directed at the California State University system and in turn, what will go to construction projects that have been frozen in lieu of the messy state budget, such as the halted Hall of Science construction on upper campus.

Alexander said it is just a matter of waiting to see the effects the cuts will have on CSULB, because at this point, it is still unknown.

“It’s as clear as mud, as we say in Kentucky,” Alexander said.

Also, discussed by ASI Senators were the possibilities of the Instant Run-Off Voting Act. The voting act would give students the ability to vote on whether or not to change ASI election run-offs to a faster system. It would eliminate the existing extra week that run-off candidates must campaign during before the run-off election takes place. ASI Executive Director Richard Haller said that having instant run-off elections would save the candidates money.

“What if students want to change their minds?” asked Sen. Ruben Cordova, of the College of Business and Administration. Cordova said there is a chance some students may cast their vote differently if they were to discover more information about candidates after voting.

The Instant Run-Off Voting Act discussions were a part of the second reading and the act will go onto a third to be considered and voted on in a future ASI meeting.