For some, student housing costs will rise

Associated Students Inc. President Erin Swetland addressed an increase in student housing fees for fall 2009 at Wednesday’s senate meeting.

According to Swetland, Cal State Long Beach’s purchase of the Brooks College campus on Pacific Coast Highway has brought the need to increase student-housing fees.

“Anyone who is a continuing student in our on-campus housing will see only a modest increase,” said Mary Stephens, vice president of administration and finance.

Stephens said new students would pay significantly higher fees than returning students. The increase would affect new students and those moving into the Residential Learning College, located on the site of the former Brooks College.

New students will pay between $10,070 and $10,270, depending on their meal plan choices, in student housing fees to live off-campus at the new RLC. Returning students will pay approximately $7,620 to $7,820 to live on campus, also depending on their chosen meal plan.

If returning students move into the RLC they will have to pay the same rate as new students, according to the CSULB Housing and Residential Life’s website.

Prior to renovation, Brooks College consisted of three dormitory buildings and one cafeteria building. It was purchased to increase the number of dorm rooms.

The most expensive building to renovate at Brooks College was demolished to solve any student parking problems, while the other buildings are now in the midst of renovation. There will be 550 new dorm beds, rooms that are larger than on-campus housing’s and wireless networking throughout, Stephens said.

“We are also building in about six classrooms and offering some classes focused on students living in the RLC,” Stephens said.

Along with news of the increases in student housing fees, senators gave reports on what was going on in their particular colleges.

Sen. Cristina Avila reported that the College of Engineering was opposed to the Beach Legacy Referendum.

Sen. Tanya Jooste said that the College of Business and Administration supported the BLR.

David Parrish

$2,450 MORE FOR NEW STUDENTS…. This seems to be an unfair burden placed on new students who will be receiving the same services as students paying much less. I understand the need to raise fees but why can it not be applied fairly to all resident students at a lower overall increase.