Art knows no age

The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at Cal State Long Beach will host its fourth annual art show at the design gallery this week.

Students and staff members were encouraged to submit up to three pieces of work that have yet to be displayed at an art show. Some of the pieces were created years ago and others were finished in the past four weeks.

“I’ve never submitted any work I’ve done before and am very fond of this piece,” said Tere Seivers, a CSULB alumna and OLLI student, of her submitted photograph. “I thought people would enjoy this and it’s always nice to share your work.”

Seivers attended CSULB in the 70s and has been a student at OLLI for the past two years.

“I’ve always wanted an opportunity to express myself artistically,” Seivers said. “It’s really comfortable here with other students [my] age.”

OLLI, formerly known as Senior University, provides educational opportunities for seniors in a variety of programs ranging from art to computer courses, as well as miming and improvisation.

The center offers an environment that promotes personal growth and individual empowerment for people 50 years old or older, according to Betty Hutchens, an OLLI volunteer and art show director. With the exception of the office administrator and executive director, the OLLI is run by volunteers.

Hutchens first attended OLLI in 2001 after her husband died.

“After buying a computer, I sure didn’t know what to do after taking it out of the box,” Hutchens said. “I asked around and many people recommended OLLI. I’m now involved in 10 classes other than a computer course.”

Pamela Holloway signed her mother, Blanche Taylor, up for OLLI after Holloway’s father died. They now attend together and have submitted watercolor artwork this year.

“I did it for the experience, to show it off and for feedback,” Holloway said. Though they are not selling the pieces, Holloway and Taylor are trying to build up their portfolios for the future.

According to Hutchens, this year’s art show is expecting to showcase about 35 different artists, more than 100 pieces of arts and crafts, and is expecting more than 250 guests.

“More people are starting to know that we have started doing this,” Hutchens said.

The arts and crafts display includes watercolors, charcoal illustrations, oil paintings and sculptures. Sunday’s performances will include poetry readings, memoirs, miming and a recorder recital. All of the performers are from various performing arts classes at OLLI. Visitors will also be able to meet the artists at the gallery.

A DVD containing photographs of the artworks as well as Sunday’s performances can be purchased for $6. The proceeds will go toward covering the cost of the complimentary food provided during the show.

The arts and crafts show began Monday and goes until Friday. The visual performances are scheduled on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Admittance is free and complimentary snacks will be provided.

Money made from purchased artwork will go directly to the artists.