‘End the R-Word Day’ at CSULB

A Cal State Long Beach student is leading the charge to remove the mainstream usage of the word “retarded.”

In reality, the “r-word” is dehumanizing, according to Meera Gandhi, a junior biology major who is spearheading an event aimed at eliminating the use of the word.

End the R-Word Day will be held today from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in front of the CSULB bookstore.

“There’s so many people that just don’t know how hurtful the ‘r-word’ is,” Gandhi said. “It hurts a lot of people’s feelings.”

Gandhi is aware that completely abolishing the word is near impossible, but she still hopes the event will make students more aware of the language they use.

“The goal is not to abolish the word per se, but to take it out of people’s vocabulary,” Gandhi said.

“End the R-Word Day” is a national event put on by the Special Olympics College, a program that aims to raise awareness and support people with disabilities.

“Special Olympics College is such a great organization and the more people know and learn about it, the more people would be willing to help,” Gandhi said.

The event was held at more than 10 universities, including the University of Notre Dame, Yale University and the University of Kansas.

“End the R-Word Day” was officially on March 31, but since CSULB was on spring break at the time, the event is being held today and is co-sponsored by ASI.

With the current economic and budget issues, it has been hard for Gandhi to give the event the exposure she thinks it deserves.

“With the budget and everything, it’s hard to get resources,” Gandhi said.

Although it is a national event, End the R-Word Day will not be a large-scale event. It will consist of a table with music, flyers and a pledge board. Bracelets and pins will also be handed out.

“More than anything, it is just going to be a general awareness day,” Gandhi said.

Students will be encouraged to sign the board, pledging to stop using the “r-word”. Flyers with information about the event will be given to students passing by.

“Even if just someone passing by and sees the sign, it might be able to stir controversy and make them think about the words that they’re using,” said Gandhi.

For those who do not have an opportunity to pledge in person, the stop the “r-word” campaign can be accessed at www.r-word.org.

Gandhi started off as a part-time volunteer coach for the Special Olympics.

“I fell in love with my athletes,” Gandhi said. “I just continued to do it.”

Gandhi is now a full-time coach for the Special Olympics and describes it as one of her favorite activities.

“People with disabilities are just as capable as anybody else,” Gandhi said.

Gandhi would like to continue organizing events involving the Special Olympics College.

With End the R-Word Day, Gandhi said she just hopes to make an impact since the people with disabilities are so dear to her heart.

“It really crushes me when people use it, even if it’s a synonym for stupid,” Gandhi said.

I’ve always been confused about this. This world is getting so obsessed that the correct usage of words are now not even politically correct?