Commemorating the holocaust

Cal State Long Beach will be holding its own holocaust memorial on Wednesday as part of the annual National Holocaust Remembrance Week.

The annual National Holocaust Remembrance Week is from April 19 to 23 and Tuesday is International Holocaust Remembrance Day, which in Hebrew is called “Yom Hashoah”.

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum has geared the theme of this year’s event, “Never Again: What you do matters,” to focus on individual responsibility.

CSULB’s event will take place at noon at the Multicultural Center’s Peace Patio.

“The memorial helps educate other students about Holocaust Remembrance Day,” said Jeffery Blutinger, an assistant professor in the history department and co-director of the Jewish studies program. Blutinger specializes in modern Jewish history, nationalism and holocaust memorials. He is also responsible for coordinating CSULB’s efforts for the day of remembrance.

There will be a candle-lighting memorial from noon to 1 p.m., where individuals are encouraged to offer their own thoughts, poems or prayers of remembrance and peace.

During the same hour, holocaust survivor Eugene Schlesinger will provide a personal testimony about his experience at the holocaust in Czechlosvakia.

From 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., there will be a film screening of the 2002 movie “Max,” which will be followed by a discussion session.

“Max” stars John Cusack as Max Rothman, a celebrated art gallery owner who befriends an aspiring young artist and fellow war veteran, Adolf Hitler. Despite Max’s assistance and encouragement, Hitler is unsuccessful as an artist and turns all of his energy to politics.

“The movie explores the relationship between politics and art,” Blutinger said.

Rachel Bookstein, executive director for the Jewish students group Beach Hillel, is helping coordinate the event with Blutinger.

According to Bookstein, last year’s event was marked with participation from many departments, clubs and organizations on campus.

“This year we look forward to [CSULB and community] participation as we build a diverse and ecumenical event recognizing all communities who suffered,” Bookstein said.

The event is open to the public and all are invited to participate.

“The memorial has a broad base of people who attend and is not only Jewish studies students and faculty,” Blutinger said.

The event is co-sponsored by 14 groups on campus including the LGBT Resource Center, La Raza Student Association, the history department and the Jewish studies program.

Dominique Wright

this is a strong subject to commerate and acknowlege but, I think yhis was a good idea to let thosw know that there not forgotten.

The website beachhillel.org advertises this event as being co-sponsored by the following 13 groups:

University Interfaith Center, Beach Hillel, Beach Newman (Catholic Newman), Methodist Campus Ministry, Temple Israel, Cooperative Multi Cultural Center, Anti Defamation League Orange County, Department of History, Jewish Studies Program, CSULB Student Life and Development, LGBT Resource Center, La Raza Student Association, Anthropology Graduate Student Association (AGSA)

Are all of them campus groups? including the Anti Defamation League of Orange County and Temple Israel?