ASI Senate ends year with four final approvals

In its last meeting of the year, the Associated Students Inc. Senate voted on the final readings of four proposed acts for 2009.

ASI voted to approve the Shared Governance Enhancement Act of 2009.

The amendment calls for the establishment of a committee on shared governance, which will assist in recruitment and nomination of students to the Academic Senate university-wide committees, a job that ASI is obligated to fill.

According to ASI President-elect Christopher Chavez, the task is quite daunting for the president and the senate to take on by themselves.

The senate also unanimously approved the Student Recreation Wellness Inclusion Act of 2009. This amendment will put the center under the jurisdiction of the University Student Union.

The final version of the Paper Reduction Act of 2009, which would encourage the use of “smart room” technology in classrooms in an attempt to decrease the amount of paper used in exams and quizzes, was also approved by the senate.

The Administrator Act of 2009, also approved by the senate, would formally add the Chief Programming Officer (CPO) as an executive to ASI. The CPO position was an executive position until fall 2005, in which political drama pulled out the position in exchange for the Chief of Staff, according to Chavez.