Rec center to rent out facilities

Rec center to rent out facilities

A student ascends to new heights on the Student Recreation and Wellness Center rock wall.

Alejandro Hernandez / Daily 49er

Alejandro Hernandez / Daily 49er

Alejandro Hernandez / Daily 49er

Kasia Hall, Contributing Writer

Despite the recent unveiling of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, students may find that their time at the facility could be cut back.

Beginning Oct. 1, the SRWC will begin to rent out space within their facilities.

According to the Associated Students, Inc. recreation website, these facility reservations will be available to “students, associates, affiliates and outside entities.”

The facilities available for reservation include: basketball courts, audio/visual rooms, group fitness rooms, pool deck, spa and outdoor volleyball court.

In spite of this, many details regarding the reservations have yet to be decided, including how many hours the SRWC is willing to rent out, or, if there will be a limit at all.

“The details regarding rental space at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center are still under review and will ultimately be decided by our student leaders,” ASI Communications Coordinator Christina Esparza said.

All of this uncertainty is leaving some students worried that the facility might not be able to accommodate both students and prospective groups wanting to rent out facilities.

“I just hope that they keep the majority of the time allotted to students. Maybe they should arrange it so people can’t reserve a facility during peak hours,” Jinae Bartlet, graduate biology student, said.

Other students and alumni simply want the facility to remain available to university affiliates only.

“I support [the SRWC] renting out spaces as long as the organization or person that is renting out the space is associated with our school. Outside of that, I am not so sure,” senior recreation major Jose Flores said.

However, the SRWC is not the only facility to rent out spaces. According to Esparza, the USU offers areas out for rent, including the Games Center and smartrooms.

“It is a service to the community, including student groups and organizations. It just made sense to offer that same service at the SRWC,” Esparza said.

Intramural sports are also being held in the SRWC, however, representatives for the women’s and men’s basketball teams, as well as, the volleyball teams have confirmed that they do not plan not to use the SRWC center to hold practices.

Reservations would be priced according to the square footage of the area.

Those wishing to reserve a facility can email [email protected]csulb.edu.

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for Postings made on www.daily49er.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for Postings made on this website. Persons commenting agree to the Terms of Use of the website. If Postings do not abide by the Rules of Conduct or Posting Regulations as listed in the Postings Policy, the Daily 49er has all rights to delete Postings as it deems necessary. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech. This site also encourages users to make Postings relevant to the article or other Postings.