Theatre arts students face enrollment obstacles due to unit cap

Some theatre arts students may have to reduce the number of classes they take or shows they perform in due to the 16-unit cap beginning next semester.

According to Joanne Gordon, chair of the Department of Theatre Arts at Cal State Long Beach, students involved in shows must take a one-unit course, regardless of whether they are acting or doing their part behind the scenes.

Because up to six shows are offered each year, students often take more than sixteen units.

“I’ve taken 21 units in a semester before,” said Jorge Soriano, a junior theatre arts major. “There have been semesters where I’ve acted in many plays, which raised my unit count.”

Gordon said the unit cap could impede many theatre students’ graduation progress.

Many theatre students may have to decide between taking less G.E. or major courses, or acting in fewer plays.

Although some theatre students are being affected, there are some who don’t see the unit cap as an obstacle.

Chloe Zomorodi, an undeclared freshman currently taking theatre classes, is optimistic about acting in plays.

“I don’t think the unit cap will affect me too much,” Zomorodi said. “One unit for a play wouldn’t hurt me.”

Still, the university unit cap is affecting all majors, not just those in theatre arts.

“We implemented this very reluctantly,” said Lynn Mahoney, associate vice president for Undergraduate Studies. “Graduating seniors who need more than 16 units may file an appeal so that they can add more units in August.”

CSULB passed the unit cap in March in preparation for a possible upcoming budget shortfall.

In an email sent out by the Office of Undergraduate Studies on March 21, Mahoney said that CSULB is facing a $27 million budget cut for the 2012-13 academic year if Gov. Jerry Brown’s tax measure is not approved.

Brown has proposed to raise the sales tax by a quarter percent and raise the income tax on those making more than $250,000 a year.

If passed, the unit cap would most likely disappear.