Summer courses help students get ahead

For many Cal State Long Beach students, summer is a time to get ahead on the following year’s courses.

The courses offered this summer are high demand or bottleneck courses, according to Jeet Joshee, Dean of the College of Continuing Education.

According to Joshee, the price for one summer unit is $286. A three-unit course with fees, priced at $252, would cost $1,110 during the summer. He said typically, students enroll in six units per summer session.

Cost is a major factor for many students when considering whether or not to enroll in summer courses at CSULB.

“I would definitely take summer school to get ahead,” Cristina Chavez, a freshman social work major said. “However, I’d rather attend summer school at a community college instead of having to pay a lot of money for a couple classes.”
Jakob Brouwer, a freshman mechanical engineering major, expressed similar views on summer school.

“I would probably choose a community college over Cal State Long Beach because of cost,” Brouwer said.

Joshee said prices have increased due to the fact that summer school is not subsidized by the state. It is CSULB’s responsibility to cover all tuition and fees in the summer, he said.

Last summer, the price per unit was $274. The $12 tuition hike marks a 4.4 percent increase in price. Comparatively speaking, Cal State Fullerton charges $320 per unit while Cal State Northridge charges between $295 and $380 during the summer.

According to Joshee, there will be a similar number of classes offered this summer as compared to last summer. Almost all majors offer courses in the summer over a period of two summer sessions.