SRWC promotes stress relief through yoga

In bright red yoga pants, Siri Delaney saluted the sun and performed a number of yoga positions on the upper campus lawn in front of the University Bookstore Monday.

“I heard a couple people walking by saying they were interested, but they didn’t know about it,” said Delaney, a full-time yoga instructor at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. “Now that it’s summertime, it’s nice outside, in a different environment.”

Delaney demonstrated her yoga skills on upper campus to promote Yogafest, a three-hour collection of yoga classes that will be held at the SRWC at 4 p.m. on April 29. Students showed interest but walked by without participating.

Yogafest promotes “spirit,” according to the SRWC website, and will take place at the end of the semester in hopes of helping students relax and de-stress before finals. The event will feature three different yoga instructors who will teach three different types of yoga: gentle yoga, flow yoga and power yoga, SRWC special events and outreach intern Carissa Limon said.

Limon said promotion for Yogafest included the yoga demonstration Monday and a nearby table set up with free gifts for students, including beach ball-shaped stress release balls, travel size Irish Spring deodorants and body wash.

Even though there wasn’t a large reaction from students at the yoga demonstration, the SRWC is hoping for a large turnout on Monday.

Yoga classes available at the SRWC are for all levels of yogis, according to Delaney, and all students are welcome.

A Cal State Long Beach alumna, Delaney said she has been teaching yoga for more than five years. She said her classes usually consist of 20 to 35 students.

Undeclared sophomore Emily Johnson went to her first yoga class last week at the SRWC. Coming from a soccer background, she said she was surprised by how strenuous the class was for her.

“It was actually a good workout,” Johnson said. “I was pretty sore the next day.”