Non-expiring employee permits to be eliminated

Cal State Long Beach’s parking permit program will undergo a series of changes, including the elimination of non-expiring employee permits, according to Vice President of Administration and Finance Mary Stephens.

Beginning fall 2013, non-expiring employee permits will be replaced with expiring permits that can be renewed every semester or academic year at no additional cost, according to Stephens.

“This is very timely,” Stephens said. “We’re going through documenting and trying to simplify [the parking permit system] as much as possible.”

Stephens said one reason for the parking permit change was the realization that if faculty or staff members permanently leave the university, their non-expiring permits could still be used.

“While the non-expiring permits may be most convenient for continuing employees … the parking office has very limited ability to assure the return of these permits,” Stephens said.

Stephens said the non-expiring permits could even be used after someone stopped paying for it. She also said the university has received many complaints from faculty and staff about a lack of parking spaces.

“Eliminating the potential for non-expiring permits to be misused seemed [to be] a loophole that we should close … to assure as much employee parking [is available] for current employees,” Stephens said.

According to Interim Bursar John Fugatt, faculty members pay between $168 and $185 for a 12-month permit.

The proposed changes will take place in the fall after members of the CSULB community are made aware of the new policy, Stephens said.

According to Stephens, however, some summer parking permits have been mistakenly provided at no cost to faculty.

Parking and Transportation Services Manager Carolyn Weidell said the permits were given to faculty recipients who were not teaching during the summer.

“On occasion, to be helpful, parking staff has provided some individuals with summer parking permits at no cost,” Weidell said. “Moving forward, everyone will be expected to pay to park during the summer months, just as they are during the academic year.”

The courtesy summer permits will remain valid for the remainder of this summer session, according to Stephens.