Two cars stolen from campus recovered

Two cars that were stolen on the first day of fall semester have since been recovered by the Los Angeles Police Department, according to University Police Lt. Richard Goodwin.

The cars, a black 1998 Honda Civic and a black 2000 Honda Civic, were both found “partially stripped,” with the interior or seats removed, Goodwin said. He said he does not know where the LAPD recovered the cars.

The LAPD was, however, able to recover the cars within the same week they were stolen, Goodwin said. The LAPD then contacted University Police to inform them that the cars had been found and the owners of the recovered vehicles were notified immediately, he said.

According to a press release from the University Police, which was released during the first week of the semester, suspects seemed to have targeted cars such as the Honda Civic and Nissan 300 between the years of 1998 and 2000.

According to Goodwin, 13 motor vehicle thefts have been reported since January. In 2012, there were eight motor vehicle thefts on campus, compared to only five in 2011, according to the CLERY report on the University Police website.

Anyone who has seen any suspicious activity should contact University Police at (562) 985-4101.