African Cultural Extravaganza celebrates culture with food, dance

Dishes of African food, student guests and a dancing African masquerade filled the University Student Union on Thursday for the Department of Africana Studies’ “African Cultural Extravaganza.”

The African Cultural Extravaganza, which drew about 60 attendees, highlighted traditions and celebrated cultures from various countries in Africa, said Pamela Roberts, department chair of women’s, gender and sexuality studies and a guest speaker at the event.

During the African Cultural Extravaganza, guests tasted food, masked dancers moved about the room and a modern version of a cultural dance was performed.

Oreoluwa Oluyide, a senior health care administration major and dancer at the event, said the cultural dance originated from Nigeria and was a mix of different African styles like Kukere and Azonto.

James Petty, a freshman aerospace engineering major, said he enjoyed the dancing most at the event.

“I especially liked how the dancers were able to keep a smile on their face throughout their performance,” Petty said. “That really uplifted the mood of the entire room.”

Oluyide said she hoped the audience would be able to understand the dance and music, and that it took her team about a week to learn and rehearse the dance.

Martha Muth, a sophomore criminal justice major, said she visited last year’s African Cultural Extravaganza and thought it was exciting.

“I decided to attend this year’s event and was curious in what might be different from the previous year,” Muth said.

Oluyide said that although she was backstage for most of the event, she noticed the room was with diverse cultures.

Petty, who had to leave the event to attend class, said he regretted not having more time to enjoy the food.

“The food was delightful,” Muth said. “The rice and chicken were my favorite.”

Roberts said the event — which provided the African component for
International Education Week — was just a taste of Africa, and she hopes it makes students interested in studying and visiting the continent.

International Education Week celebrates the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide.