UAM to reopen with its doors with German photojournalist display

The University Art Museum will reopen its doors on Saturday with two new exhibits after a summer of renovations and changes to the art display in the museum.

The UAM has partnered with the Goethe-Institut and Institute for Foreign Relations to present “Barbara Klemm: Light and Dark,” a collection of 124 black and white photographs from one of Germany’s most recognized photojournalists, according to a UAM press release. Klemm’s images depict the political, social and cultural history of the country. Through these pictures, the viewer is given a look at major events in recent European history.

The exhibit will be on display in the museum from Sept. 6 until Dec. 14. According to the release, “the museum is fortunate enough to host the exhibition on the 25th anniversary of the [falling of the] Berlin Wall.” Artifacts and collectibles from CSULB’s Tom Frazier, a geography professor on campus and post-reunification Berlin scholar, will be displayed as a supplement to the exhibit.

The museum will also be hosting another exhibition, “Talkin’ Bout My Generation: Millennials Through Their Own Lens,” which will be a project showcasing interdisciplinary students’ work that attempts to define their generation. Klemm’s photographs are meant to act as an initiator for this campus-wide discussion of a definition.

The event will take place at the UAM, which is located on lower campus, adjacent to the Horn Center. The night will begin at 5 p.m. with a gallery talk from museum co-curator Ursula Zeller, followed by the opening reception at 6 p.m. The event is free of charge and open to the public.