Your grande could have been a venti

The price for an iced coffee from the Starbucks coffeehouses on campus is higher than it would be at some of the Starbucks coffeehouses outside and within a three mile range of Cal State University Long Beach.

For instance, the Starbucks located on Stearns Street and the Starbucks located on Pacific Coast Highway sell a venti, which is 24 ounces, iced coffee for $2.95, while the Starbucks facilities on campus sells a grande, which is 16 ounces, iced coffee for three dollars.

Besides iced coffee, some of the other items are more expensive as well. A tall, which is 12 ounces, pumpkin spice latte is sold for $4.50 on campus, while the Starbucks on PCH and the Starbucks on Stearns Street sells the same item for $4.15.

Jose Manzano, sophomore business management major, said he thought the price increase was due to inflation, and because of the increase, he stopped buying drinks that cost more than iced coffee.

Erica Miller, manager of the Starbucks in the campus library, said she meets regularly with Sofia Alonzo, manager of the Starbucks located in the campus dining plaza, and Melissa Devan, director of dining services, to discuss what the prices for Starbucks menu items should be. Kierstin Stickney, director of marketing and communications for Forty-Niner Shops, Inc., not yet commented on the price-setting process.

Alejandra Araiza, a junior women’s, gender and sexuality studies major, said she noticed the Starbucks coffeehouses on campus have been raising their prices throughout her five semesters at CSULB, and she is not too fond of it.

“I think [the price increase] is ridiculous,” Araiza said. “I think the reason that they’re [increasing prices] is because they know students are addicted to the drinks, and they need it for their caffeine fix.”

Sophomore psychology major Leslie Sorenson said she thinks that the prices are not fair, but she believes college students will continue to pay for it since “our demand for caffeine won’t go down.”

“I know what [Starbucks] is doing, but I need my tea,” Sorenson said.

Freddy Scoggan, a freshman mechanical engineering major, thinks that if people do not like the prices, then they should go to The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, or bring their own coffee.

“To be honest, I would have to say let [the people that manage the prices for Starbucks] do what they want,” Scoggan said. “We all have to make a living, and the [price increase] is profitable. Who wouldn’t do it to a certain extent?”

Great article. I never noticed that little price difference.