Ralphs near CSULB to close next month

After 40 years in business, Ralph’s grocery store located on 5760 E. Seventh Street will close its doors on Nov. 8, according to Ralph’s spokesperson Kendra Doyel.

“While we never make the decision to close stores without looking at every option available, we did have to make the decision to close this store, which has been significantly underperforming for several years,” Doyel said.

Doyel provided no specific information regarding how this particular Ralph’s underperformed.

According to Yelp, customers had a mixture of positive and negative comments on the service at the closing Ralph’s.

Irma B. from Long Beach posted about her experience at Ralph’s on Oct. 1, praising the cleanliness of the store and good customer service.

Zach P. from Long Beach posted on Dec. 3, 2011 that he disliked the lack of available cashiers, and he complained about the in-store Coffee Bean service and parking issues.

Despite being located at a heavily trafficked area, the Ralph’s has underperformed due to interest-seeker issues and high rent among other factors.

Renovations in 2007 intended to attract customers by offering more local and organic options, freshly prepared goods such as deli sandwiches and sushi and a walk-in wine cellar.

Current employees will not be laid off or lose their jobs, but will be transferred to other Ralph’s locations.

“We hate that we’re closing the store, but I am thrilled those employees won’t be laid off,” Doyel said.

Alternate Ralph’s locations include the store in the Marina Pacifica Shopping Center along Pacific Coast Highway and the store in the Traffic Circle area, all within two miles from the Ralph’s on Seventh Street.

Cody Em, a 20-year-old CSULB student enrolled in the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Program, shops at this Ralph’s due to the convenience of its location.

“I like the location, and if I’m hungry, I can stop by all the restaurants nearby,” Em said. “Anything closing down is unfortunate, so it’s a bummer to hear this Ralph’s is closing.”