Freeway closure ends Thursday

Detours signs will placed, according to news release.

Ruben Diaz, Assistant News Editor

The 405 Freeway will be closed off from Cherry Avenue to Lakewood Boulevard from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Wednesday and Thursday, according to a news release from Long Beach 4th District Councilman Patrick O’Donnell.

In addition to the partial closure, the entire freeway will be closed from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m.

The closure will allow for the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) to demolish and reconstruct a damaged portion of the Temple Avenue Bridge, according to the news release.

Junior journalism major Michael Mendoza said he thinks the project can be inconvenient to commuters.

“I believe [Caltrans] should save the construction for the weekend since everybody is trying to get home from work during the week,” Mendoza said.

David Espindola, a senior journalism major with an emphasis in public relations, said he takes the 405 Freeway to go home, but he has not been “stuck” yet.

“If [the freeway closure is] until Thursday, then it’s not going to be a big deal,” Espindola said. “People should just suck it up and deal with it.”

Yeasmin Ema, a freshman human development major, said people should not be too concerned with the project.

“I don’t see a big issue with the [construction],” Ema said. “Just Google another route.”

Hanson, Seeger, a freshman kinesiology major, said that if the bridge has to be fixed, then it should it be done as soon as possible.

The $2.5 million project started on Monday, and is funded by the State Highway and Operations Program (SHOPP). Caltrans advises motorists to “slow for the cone zone.”