Board of Control focuses on spending

Tuesday marked the final meeting of the Associated Students Inc. Board of Control. No student travel requests or grant allocation applicants were presented. Instead, the meeting focused on spending $48,716 for needed capital project purchases and maintenance. ASI is required to spend a certain amount of money every year on these requests in order to maintain its properties, as mandated by a referendum passed earlier this year.

ASI Executive Richard Haller explained that in order to qualify for funding, a capital project needed to cost at least $5,000 and either replace broken equipment or purchase needed capital equipment.

Haller recommended to the Board of Control that $23,000 go toward the Isabel Patterson Child Development Center. Expenditures include floor replacement, air conditioner replacement and lighting system replacement.

ASi Vice President Nayiri Baghdassarian said, “The children’s safety is the top priority, and I support the recommended [expenditures]…”

Haller also recommended $17,000 go towards purchasing a new forklift, electric cart, industrial-grade kitchen equipment, a new water heater and a sound console for ASI and its subsidiaries such as KBEACH. The Board of Control unanimously supported Haller’s suggestions.

After Richard Haller’s recommendations were approved, approximately $10,000 remained for use.

The Board of Control meetings will resume in January with the spring semester.