CSU and UC systems are winners in Gov. Brown’s proposed budget

Gov. Jerry Brown’s proposed state budget lends a hand and some money to public higher education in California.

Nicca Panggat, News Editor

California’s undergraduate students may finally find some tuition-related relief thanks to increases in the higher education budget as proposed by Gov. Jerry Brown in his May Revision of the California budget.

The May Revision reflects a $6.7 billion increase in General Fund revenues in comparison with the January statement. The May Revision will also allot $38 million in ongoing funding for the California State University system as well as freeze in-state undergraduate tuition within the University of California system.

“The governor’s proposal to invest additional ongoing funding for the CSU is welcome news to the Cal State Long Beach campus community,” said California State University, Long Beach President Jane Close Conoley in a statement. “These additional state resources are essential if we are to keep tuition fees low, reduce student debt, and provide our students the support they need to achieve a quality university degree in a timely manner.”

Yet despite the increased backing for the CSU system, the overall funding is still less than what is needed, according to a statement by the California Faculty Association.

“The CSU educates nearly 450,000 students,” California State University, Los Angeles history professor and CFA President Lillian Taiz said in a statement. “Why aren’t they prioritized in the Governor’s budget? Our students are the future leaders who could help create new water conservation systems, protect our families and teach our children.”

In accordance with the increased funding from the governor’s budget, the CSU has announced it will not raise the cost of tuition in the 2015-2016 academic year, according to the May Revision.

The final budget will be implemented July 1, 2015.