CSULB unveils details on new smoking policy

President Jane Close Conoley officially launched the Breathe campaign at California State University, Long Beach with a new website on Friday.

The Breathe campaign was initially announced as part of Conoley’s convocation address in August, along with an announcement that CSULB would be banning the use of tobacco products on campus.

“I received a final report from the Tobacco and Smoke Free Task Force this summer,” Conoley said in a statement to CSULB students. “After careful research and consultation with many, many members of our community I have decided to follow the Task Force’s recommendation to become a tobacco and smoke free campus by fall 2016.”

Conoley initiated the smoking task force at the beginning of 2015 to make a recommendation about what the school’s smoking policy should be. Conoley charged a group of 23 students, faculty and administrators with the development and implementation of the policy.

“I cherish and respect every member of our community,” the statement said. “While some may feel that I’m limiting an adult right, I am actually trying to ensure our shared right to breathe easier by creating the best environment for the well-being and longevity of all.”

In March 2013, the CSULB student body voted to recommend the campus adopts a smoke-free policy. Roughly 64 percent of 6,500 students voted in the Associated Students, Inc. election, according to ASI.

The smoking task force recommended the school adopt a 100 percent tobacco-free policy in addition to eliminating the use of cigarettes on campus.

Conoley adopted the resolution to also prohibit the use of e-cigarettes, chewing tobacco and all other products derived from tobacco by the fall 2016 semester.

According to a draft of the policy, it will extend to all indoor and outdoor areas of the campus including campus housing, Blair Field and in any vehicles on campus property. As part of the policy, the school plans to remove all ashtrays around the university campus.

The policy adopted by the State of California in 2003 prohibited smoking within 20 feet of doorways and buildings. That same year, CSULB extended the policy to prohibit smoking within 20 feet of all entrances, exits, windows and air intakes to all buildings and within specified walkways, such as the path from the library to the Student Union.

In addition to the ban on tobacco products, the task force also recommended that the school “provide and/or promote cessation services/resources for all members of the college/university community.”

Violators of the policy will be given “policy awareness cards” for the first three years of the new policy, with the school reserving the right to implement fines or order one hour of community service after that. According to California Assembly Bill 795, universities have the option to use fines to enforce smoking policies, provided the fines do not exceed $100.

“It’s our hope that individuals will abide by the university policy and respect the wishes of the great many who want to learn and work in a healthier environment,” CSULB Executive Director of News Mike Uhlenkamp said via email.

In 2002, the CSU Board of Trustees gave authority over campus smoking policies to both the CSU chancellor and each campus’ university president. In 2013, CSU Chancellor Timothy P. White announced that the CSU system would establish a task force with the goal of eliminating smoking on all 23 campuses.

According to Uhlenkamp, the school will convene an implementation group early next month to establish a budget for the Breathe campaign.