Twitter survey finds students at Cal State Long Beach overwhelmingly support Senator Bernie Sanders for President.

According to a Twitter survey conducted by the Daily 49er, CSULB students favor Bernie Sanders as the next Commander-in-Chief.

The survey, which was carried out last week, let students choose from among the two most popular candidates from each party. Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton were the Democratic choices; Businessman Donald Trump and Texas Senator Ted Cruz were the Republican options.

Among those who voted, 62 percent chose Bernie Sanders as the next president.  Hillary Clinton came in 2nd, with 22 percent of votes.  Next, came Donald Trump with 9 percent of the vote. Ted Cruz finished last, winning only 7 percent of CSULB student voters.

The results of the twitter survey mirror a larger trend across college campuses nationwide.  In total, Sanders has 220 students groups on campuses across the country, including a chapter at CSULB named “The Beach for Bernie.”

Last night, Sanders won the New Hampshire primary with 59 percent of the votes, according to the Associated Press.  

Exit polls reported that Sanders won the primary by getting the majority vote from men, women, independents and people under age 45.

At the Iowa Caucus, Sanders won 70 percent of the votes from young people ages 17 to 29, according to The New York Times.

The same New York Times article reports that young people, particularly college students, are attracted to Sanders because of his views on college tuition and student debt.

Julia Hodgdon, a first-year pre-social work major, said that although she hasn’t been following the campaign closely, she has heard good things about Sanders.  

When asked about the possibility of Hillary Clinton being the first female president, Hodgdon said it would be nice having a female president. But she said she doesn’t think Clinton is what the country needs right now.

In her New Hampshire concession speech, Clinton said she has “some work to do particularly with young people.

If elected, Sanders says he plans on making college tuition free. His plan, which would cost around $75 billion, would be funded by taxing Wall Street speculations.  

Sanders’ plan has often been ridiculed and called “radical” by many. According to Sanders’ website, this plan is not radical. The intro to his six step process for eliminating college fees reads: “It is insane and counter-productive to the best interest of our country and our future, that hundreds of thousands of bright young people cannot afford to go to college, and that millions of others leave school with a mountain of debt that burdens them for decades.”

Countries such as Germany, Sweden, and Chile have all successfully created a tuition free public university system in recent years.    

Sanders also plans on cutting student loan rates and eliminating government profits from student loans.

Most CSULB students did not praise Republican candidate Donald Trump.

“I never thought Trump was in it to win it,” said Herbert Medrano, a fifth-year Biology major. “I always thought it was a publicity stunt. It’s actually kind of scary, the amount of people who are rallying behind Trump.”

Rocket Romano, a first year student majoring in Chemistry, said he doesn’t think Trump is qualified to be president.  Romano also said Trump “doesn’t know politics,” citing his lack of experience in diplomacy and foreign affairs.

However, not all students were quick reject Trump.  Chris Lopez, a third year Computer Engineering major, said he thinks Donald Trump has been misinterpreted by the media.  Lopez said he doesn’t think Trump is a racist, and that his views on immigration are “somewhat true.”  He also said that Trump’s business background could be beneficial for the economy.

Forty-six students participated in the survey.

Regardless of political position, students are encouraged to be informed and be an active part of the democratic process.  

*This article was updated at 1:50 p.m. on Feb. 10.