Student reports sexual assault at Kappa Sigma party

A student at Cal State Long Beach reported a sexual assault at a party over the weekend.

Matt Simon, Staff Writer

A female student reported that she was sexually assaulted at an off-campus party hosted by Kappa Sigma Fraternity early Sunday morning.

The student reported the case to a Cal State Long Beach campus security authority early Sunday morning who then notified university police.

University police sent out an email Monday afternoon after the student reported the incident.

The student reported that the suspect is a Hispanic male in his early 20s. Whether the man was a member of Kappa Sigma is unknown.

According to Executive Director of News Michael Uhlenkamp, the university is unable to comment on the incident while it is under investigation. Once the investigation is complete, the university will be able to determine what course of action it will take.

Junior geography major Toria Denofrio says the campus doesn’t make her feel safe and hopes that the university will make a big statement after the off-campus investigation is complete.

“It doesn’t matter to me if it happened off campus,” Denofrio said. “These people are affiliated with CSULB that we most likely go to school with. I hope the university makes some sort of statement showing it does not condone their actions.”

The incident was not in campus police’s jurisdiction so the Long Beach Police Department has taken over the investigation and is requesting that anyone who may have information contact LBPD Sex Crimes Detail at 562-570-7368.

The Interfraternity Council and Kappa Sigma were unavailable for comment.