LBSU offers meditation for students looking to de-stress

Studies have found meditation to be a solution to the daily stressors of student life.

A tapestry hanging at one of the pop up shops outside of The University Bookstore, has a depiction of Buddhist meditating. Along with the tapestry, the shop sells an assortment of spiritual stones, and crystals known to be used for spiritual endevours.

Kelly Traynor I Daily 49er

Kelly Traynor I Daily 49er

Kelly Traynor I Daily 49er

It’s no secret that life as a college student can be stressful. Practicing mindfulness meditation has been a way for students at Long Beach State to manage their day-to-day lives.

Mindfulness meditation has been shown in studies to reduce stress, improve focus and lessen anxiety.

Yogapedia defines mindfulness meditation as a type of meditation which involves paying attention, deliberately and nonjudgmentally, to the present moment.

A recent meta-analysis study conducted by a team of researchers at the University of British Columbia found that the brains of consistent meditators have thicker tissue in the regions associated with body awareness, enhanced focus, stress management and attention control. This means that those who regularly meditate notice positive changes in their overall mindset compared to those who do not meditate.  

Kim Wong, a junior psychology student who regularly practices mindfulness meditation, expressed the benefits it has brought to her life.

“My anxiety got so bad that I was forced to find a solution,” she said. “Ever since I started meditating, I’ve been happier and less anxious.” Wong now meditates “almost every day,” and she occasionally uses grassy areas of campus to find her Zen.  

Meditation is also an important practice in religions such as Buddhism; it is central for mediators to connect to one’s inner self, reach enlightenment, focus on a higher power or reflect on a spiritual relationship.

Jessie Flores, an engineering student practices meditation as an expression of his Buddhist faith.

“Meditating regularly helps clear any negativity in my mind,” he said.

Students can engage in several opportunities for free meditation on campus. The Student Recreation and Wellness Center offers guided meditation every Monday from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Beach Balance Wellness Room.  

Jessica Lee, a sophomore business student, offered a word of advice for the stressed students at LBSU.

“Take a few minutes every day to try mindfulness meditation,” she said. “Focus on your breathing and relax, that’s all it takes.”

1 Comment

One Response to “LBSU offers meditation for students looking to de-stress”

1. Heidi Girling on February 27th, 2019 8:40 am

Student Health Services also offers the Koru Mindfulness meditation course for free on campus. We meet once a week for 4 weeks. Students learn 10 different meditation styles, we discuss their mindfulness journey and how to make it a habit, and they receive a free book and an app with guided meditations.

*

• LBSU offers meditation for students looking to de-stress

94-year-old student has a passion for learning

A conversation with Conoley

LBSU construction experiences delay due to uncertain weather

Lieutenant Governor visits ASI Senate for Q&A

Coyotes on campus, important to Long Beach

Studies show religious people tend to be happier

LBSU BMAC brings life to the LIFE project

A Beachside arrest, a construction site burglary and an injured dog

ASI treasure candidate: Dominick Martinez

ASI treasure candidate: Reyalyn Villegas