Sports, Women's Basketball

49er women’s home opener spoiled by Aztecs

The 49ers’ women’s basketball team couldn’t hold off a fierce San Diego State offensive attack as they fell to the Aztecs, 67-59, in the season opener at the Walter Pyramid Sunday afternoon.

After a lackluster first half, which saw both teams combine for 25 turnovers, Long Beach State (0-1) turned up the defense to hold SDSU to just 37 percent from the field in the second half.

“We worked hard this week trying to shore up our defense, and I think that translated pretty well today,” 49ers head coach Mary Hegarty said.

Yet, the SDSU tandem of guard Jerica Williams, who led all scorers with 23 points, and center Paris Johnson, who racked up 12 rebounds to go along with 14 points, proved to be too much. Junior guard Quenese Davis also added 16 points and five rebounds of her own.

Overall, the game was evenly matched as both teams were close to each other in most statistical categories, but the game was won at the free-throw line in the waning minutes of the second half. When the 49ers were forced to foul late in the game, the Aztecs (2-0) were able to convert their shots from the charity stripe.

Offensively, LBSU came out of the locker shooting the ball well as they pulled to within four points to make it a 46-42 game. The 49ers used the 3-pointer to get back into the game as they converted on two shots from beyond the arc early in the second half to make a run at the Aztecs, who led 31-22 at halftime.

The entire game was plagued by unfavorable calls, but they seemed to have a bigger impact in the second half.

“I think there were some really questionable calls down the stretch, certainly at critical points,” said Hegarty of the calls.

LBSU was led by junior guard Courtney Jacob and junior forward Whitney Fields. Jacob was the 49ers high scorer with 14 points as well as five rebounds. Fields pitched in with 13 points and eight boards of her own.

Jacob seemed to takeover as the leader for the 49ers, both on the offensive and defensive side of the ball, as she stepped into the role of senior Karina Figueroa, who is out indefinitely with a foot injury.

“I’ve changed my role into more of a vocal leader … and become more of a floor leader,” Jacob said.

Hegarty feels the same way and said, “She leads everyday [by] the way she competes and works in practice. She does so many things well, and she always has poise and encouragement for her teammates. She is a great leader for us on and off the court.”

Fields, who battled inside with the 6-foot-4 Johnson, said of her 13-point effort, “I don’t think it’s about how big they are. I have heart, and I fear nobody regardless.”

The 49ers return to the court Friday against San Jose State at the Walter Pyramid. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.