Men's Volleyball, Sports

Final tune-up: ‘Niners prep for Senior Night, regular season finale

After clinching its first Big West Conference championship since 2001, the 49er women’s volleyball team will host No. 19 Colorado State, Saturday at 7 p.m. in the Walter Pyramid.

In the final regular season tune-up before the NCAA tournament, head coach Brian Gimmillaro said the match should provide a good measuring stick for his squad.

“It’s an opportunity to implement what we’re going to do when it counts,” he said. “After that, it’s six rounds of single-elimination. It’s our last chance before it’s all-or-nothing.”

The team will also honor seniors Quincy Verdin, Nicole Vargas and Iris Murray in a pre-match ceremony as they take to the Walter Pyramid court one last time.

LBSU (24-5, 13-3 Big West) heads into Saturday night’s showdown having won 10 of its last 11 matches, with its most recent victory coming in a 3-0 sweep at CS Fullerton last Saturday night.

The Rams (22-5, 12-4 Mountain West Conference), who are second in the Mountain West standings, stumble into The Beach having lost two road matches against Brigham Young and Utah. Middle blocker Mekana Barnes, who has tallied 343 kills on the season, will lead CSU’s attack. The senior is averaging 3.40 kills per set with a .354 attack percentage.

The 64-team NCAA Tournament field will be announced Sunday at 7 p.m. on ESPNU or ESPNEWS.