Men's Basketball, Sports

49ers try to ride out Waves for 4th straight hoops win

Long Beach State hosts Pepperdine tonight at the Walter Pyramid. Tip-off will be at 7:05 p.m. It will be the last chance to see the 49ers in home action until Dec. 20.

The Waves are just 1-5 this season and their only win came against Division II CS Monterey Bay. They have two common opponents already on the young season, having lost at home to BYU, 83-52, and at New Mexico State, 90-66.

The Waves are a very young team with only three upperclassmen — all seniors — and eight freshmen. Guard Keion Bell leads the team in scoring at 12.7 points per game, and Mychel Thompson is the only other Pepperdine player averaging double digits in scoring at 11.2 PPG.

Morris nabs honor

Senior Donovan Morris was named the Big West Conference’s men’s basketball Player of the Week after leading LBSU to two wins and scoring 54 total points in two games.

His 24 points, including 14 in the double overtime period, against Idaho State and season-high 30-point outburst Sunday against New Mexico State secured his third career conference honor.

In addition to Morris’ clutch scoring efforts, the 6-foot-3 guard also dished out eight assists and grabbed six rebounds. He made 46.4 percent of his attempts from the floor (13-of-28), 50 percent from 3-point range (6-of-12) and made 84.6 percent of his free throws (22-of-26).

Recruiting trail

Four new signees will suit up for The Beach in 2008-09: forwards Lin Chang, Jules Montgomery, Kyle Richardson and guard Tristan Wilson. Chang, who will be a sophomore, and Wilson, an incoming junior, will both be junior college transfers.

76 Classic

The third annual 76 Classic announced its field for 2009 and it includes Long Beach State. The tournament will once again be played on Thanksgiving weekend in 2009 at the Anaheim Convention Center.

The field also includes seven other teams: UCLA, Texas A&M, West Virginia, Clemson, Butler, Minnesota and Portland will join The Beach in Anaheim.

“Once again, an outstanding field will represent conferences from around the country for the 76 Classic,” said Pete Derzis, senior vice president and general manager, ESPN Regional Television. “The Anaheim Classic showcases quality competition and an outstanding off-court experience for the student-athletes, coaches and staff. Fans will have an opportunity to spend the Thanksgiving weekend watching college basketball and enjoying Disneyland, along with all Southern California has to offer.”

The tournament will feature four games each day, with the two remaining undefeated teams playing in the championship game on ESPN2 on Nov. 29.

Although first round match-ups have yet to be determined, it has been widely speculated that LBSU will be pitted against head coach Dan Monson’s former school Minnesota. Monson coached the Golden Gophers from 1999-2006, leading them to a 118-105 record during that time before being bought out by the university just seven games into the 2006-07 season.