LBSU’s Ingrassia: Beckham ‘positive’

David Beckham came to the United States to promote American soccer and himself.

Two years later, he wants to leave to save his soccer career.

In January 2007, the Los Angeles Galaxy approached Spanish soccer club Real Madrid with a $250 million contract, including endorsements, to buy Beckham for five seasons.

Both Real Madrid and Beckham accepted, shocking the soccer world.

Late in 2008, Beckham, 33, joined Italian soccer club AC Milan on a loan deal that would keep him with the Rossoneri until March.

But Beckham has expressed that he likes playing for AC Milan so much that he wants to leave Galaxy and stay in Italy — permanently.

In a series of negotiations, Galaxy rejected a second offer from AC Milan this past Friday for the player who will return to Los Angeles on March 9.

The deadline was imposed by Major League Soccer due to preparations league officials and teams need to make with Beckham’s marketing power affecting ticketing and team affairs.

However, a possible transfer is still realistic.

Since arriving to Italy, Beckham has started all five Serie A games he has been available to play and has scored two goals.

AC Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti said Beckham has given a boost in quality and enthusiasm to the team and wants to do everything possible to retain him longer.

Beckham wants to be part of England’s national team and play in the FIFA World Cup next year.

Critics see the MLS as an inferior soccer league compared to those in Europe, especially the Serie A.

When Beckham joined the Galaxy in 2007, he was dropped from the national team. But with a possible move to Italy, Capello said that he has a better chance of playing for England again.

Long Beach State women’s soccer coach Mauricio Ingrassia said AC Milan and Beckham can both benefit from the deal.

“Well, for AC Milan, it’s how much money they’re going to make off of his name — ticket sales, jerseys, etc,” Ingrassia said. “But Beckham wants to play one more World Cup. Growing up, for a soccer player, it’s your biggest dream to play for the national team and being in the game’s biggest stage.”

Beckham has a clause in his contract, which states that he can leave the team without compensation in October. With the global economic crisis, getting £10 million (roughly $14.5 million) rather than nothing for him can benefit the team.

Ingrassia believes Beckham has made an impact and given more focus to the sport in the U.S., in which the league can have another star like him.

“He hasn’t made much impact on the pitch, mostly because of injuries,” Ingrassia said. “But he has brought more attention to soccer in this country. He transcends the game as a celebrity and has given positive publicity to the sport, which you wouldn’t have seen in past years.”

Correction:

Real Madrid didn’t have a role in the Galaxy/Beckham negotiations. Beckham was about to become a free agent, and the rule is that you can negotiate with other teams at that point.

nice!