Men's Water Polo, Sports

‘Niners drown Tigers to snap 3-game losing skid at home

The women’s water polo team ended a three-game losing streak with an 11-4 victory over Princeton in its first game back at the 49er Campus Pool on Wednesday night.

The No. 17 49ers (6-11), who haven’t played a home game in a month, dominated the game with superior offense. The team took control of the game with an opening goal in the first minute of play.

Long Beach continuously attacked Princeton, and went on a 6-0 run. The Tigers (9-7) finally woke up by scoring on a deflected shot and a penalty. The first half ended 7-2 in favor of LBSU.

The Tigers had no luck with getting the ball in the back of the net. They hit the post six times, and 49er goalie Kristen Stragier had five saves.

LBSU came out strong again in the second half by scoring in the opening minute with a arching lob shot from sophomore Kelsie Emerick.

The Beach maintained possession throughout most of the second half, and moved the ball by using the wings to create spaces and tire out the Tigers.

The 49ers’ attack was led by junior Cecilia Canetti with three goals and captain Keala O’Sullivan, a senior, with two goals.

“We finally came out strong, finally came together as a team,” O’Sullivan said. “We have a new [young] team, and the more experience we keep getting, the better we get.”

Head coach Gavin Arroyo said the victory came at a great time ahead of a tough week, where the ‘Niners will face No. 10 Loyola Marymount (11-4) and No. 11 Cal State Northridge.

“It is great for our confidence,” Arroyo said. “This weekend is going to be very difficult. We’re always a work in progress and we’ve got to keep doing what we do and play our game.”

The 49ers will play LMU this Saturday in Los Angeles at noon.