Sports, Women's Basketball

Jody Wynn named new women’s basketball coach

Jody Wynn will be named the new Long Beach State women’s basketball head coach, according to the school’s athletic Web site.

An advertisement appeared on the right-hand side of the site around 2:25 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. A press conference is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. today in the Ukleja Room of the Walter Pyramid to introduce her.

Wynn, who will succeed former head coach Mary Hegarty, takes over a 49er program that finished 8-21 and 4-12 in the Big West Conference last season.

Wynn spent the past five seasons at Southern California as an assistant coach under LBSU alum Mark Trakh. The Trojans finished 17-15 and sixth place in the Pac-10 with a 9-9 record.

Stay tuned to Daily49er.com for complete coverage.

Curtis Davis

My question is, can Jody bring some big name top players to the beach? In other words, Long Beach had their only Wade trophy winner La Tanya Pollard and they made two final four runs back to back. I would like to see Jody recruit some height. Maybe some 6’8 centers or taller who can play ball. The key to any successful coach is the way they teach and the way they recruit. I could see Long Beach being up there with the UConn Huskies, Tennessee Lady Vols, etc. It’s time for National Championship at the Beach and this would be the time to start.

steven p. haster

What a wonderful speaker in the new coach. Wynn seems to have the mind and charm to bring new life to a fledgling program. My big South Bay hat is off to Coach Wynn and I look forward to this new coach in particular and the changes she should bring to the program in general. Lets fight brown and gold!

Your name

I know her from coaching against and recruiting against. She will do an outstanding job. Top notch recruiter and coach! We are lucky to have her!