Baseball, Sports

Dirtbags blast Aggies in 16-3 rout

The Long Beach State offense continued to swing the bats well Friday night as it put double-digit runs on the scoreboard for the third time in the last four games.

T.J. Mittelstaedt went 3-for-4 to help the Dirtbags pick up the 16-3 victory against the visiting UC Davis Aggies at Blair Field.

Besides three hits, Mittelstaedt had four RBIs, three runs scored and a two-run home run to lead LBSU. Three other Dirtbags had two RBIs and two runs scored in the opening game of the three-game series.

“I was making sure I got my foot down early … me and coach Weathers worked on getting my head turned a little more,” Mittelstaedt said. “We’re getting the pitches to hit, and we’re just hitting them. I don’t remember any balls over the middle of the plate that we haven’t crushed lately.”

The Dirtbags finished the game with 13 hits, and there were no errors on the defensive side.

“This [was] one of those nice games where you get to kind of kick back,” head coach Mike Weathers said.

Adam Wilk (7-1) picked up the win for LBSU (21-20, 8-5 Big West Conference) as he went 5 2/3 innings, allowing three runs on six hits.

UC Davis starter Scott Chew (1-6) took the loss as he also pitched 5 2/3 innings, but the left-hander gave up eight runs on 10 hits in his time on the mound.

The Aggies (7-33, 1-12 Big West) were led on offense by Kyle Mihaylo, who had two hits and an RBI. Tim Busbin went 1-for-4 and had two RBIs for UC Davis.

The Dirtbags didn’t waste any time in getting their offense going. Left fielder Jonathan Jones slid head-first into first base to reach base on a bunt single for LBSU with only one out in the first inning. Jones took third base — after a steal — on a walk by Devin Lohman, and then Jones scored on a throwing error by the catcher.

Lohman took second base on the play and was brought around to score by Steve Tinoco when the first baseman lined a double to left field to give LBSU the 2-0 lead.

Tinoco led off the fourth inning — after LBSU was put down in order in the second and third innings — with an opposite-field double down the line in right. Tinoco moved to third base on a ground out, and he came around to score when Brennan Metzger lined a base hit through the left side of the infield. Mittelstaedt then crushed his sixth home run of the season over the right-center field fence to give the Dirtbags a 5-0 lead.

Wilk received some help from his defense in the top of the fifth inning when the Dirtbags turned a 4-6-3 double play to get out of a one-out jam.

Je found himself in unfamiliar territory in the top of the sixth inning when UC Davis loaded the bases with nobody out. Mihaylo flied out to bring in the first run of the game for the Aggies, and then a Busbin base hit scored two more runs to cut the Dirtbag lead 5-3.

LBSU answered back in the bottom of the sixth as Mittelstaedt drove in Derek Legg for his third RBI on the evening to push the Dirtbag lead back to three runs.

Jordan Casas then smashed a base hit to left field that scored Taylor Krick and Mittelstaedt. Casas was able to score on a passed ball to give the Dirtbags a 9-3 lead.

The Dirtbags went through their entire batting order before the Aggies recorded an out in the seventh inning. LBSU scored seven runs as UC Davis allowed six walks in the frame, and the Dirtbags took a commanding 16-3 lead.

Game two of the series will have a special 6:30 p.m. start time on Saturday. The first 1,000 fans in attendance will receive an Evan Longoria bobblehead.

Team news

Weathers said that third baseman Rylan Sandoval and pitcher Manny McElroy are “dismissed from the team for a [violation of team policy.]”

Your name

There will be some minor rape by the bigs this year, but hopefully the D-Bags will get back to the premier B-W slot. Lots of talent on this team once it gels. Noticeable improvements since the beginning of the season for sure. Of course, this should be expected against the Aggies. Still a tough road ahead. Good job guys.