Men's Basketball, Sports

Free-throw shooting costs Long Beach State in Riverside

RIVERSIDE — The UC Riverside Highlanders are quickly becoming a thorn in the side of Long Beach State men’s basketball.

The 49ers lost for the third straight time to UCR, 69-67, in overtime to start Big West Conference play on Saturday night.

LBSU (6-8, 0-1 Big West) missed four free throws in the overtime period and it hurt them in the end. Despite the missed free throws the 49ers were still able to be tied in the final seconds of overtime, but Larry Gurganious gave UCR (7-6, 1-0 Big West) the win on a layup with only one second left.

“They do a great job defensively and I think a lot of times guys get to the line and they’re pretty frustrated with the game,” head coach Dan Monson said. “They do a great job of frustrating you and I think it showed at the free throw line. … In a close ball game you have to be able to make them and we weren’t able to do that.”

The Highlanders’ defense was able to bottle-up the 49ers at the 3-point line, as LBSU finished the game just 4-of-15 (26.7 percent) from distance.

Greg Plater and Casper Ware led The Beach with 17 points apiece. T.J. Robinson picked up another double-double as he finished with 16 points and a game-high 10 rebounds.

Stephan Gillling, who had been consistent from outside this season, was contained and held scoreless for the second time this season. Gilling finished the game by going 0-of-7 from the field, including five misses from beyond the arc.

UCR also finished with three players in double figures. Kyle Austin led the Highlanders with a game-high 20 points. Gurganious finished with 18 points, five assists and seven rebounds. Both players combined to go 16-of-24 from the free-throw line.

Robison said he isn’t sure why the Highlanders have been able to beat the 49ers in three consecutive games.

“They play tough, they play hard on defense,” Robinson said. “We just have to be mentally prepared to play this team.”

LBSU gave up just two points in the paint through the first 20 minutes, but allowed 20 points in the paint in the second half as UCR was able to convert on shots that weren’t falling earlier in the game. The 49ers also had 15 turnovers, which led to 19 points for UCR off of those miscues.

The Beach struggled through the early part of the first half on offense, but finished the half on a 17-6 run to take a 28-21 lead.

The rim really seemed to have a lid on it for the Highlanders as they shot just 24 percent from the field on 7-of-29 shooting. Many of the missed opportunities also were close to the basket.

Robinson’s efficient play helped LBSU during the last stretch, and his put-back midway through the half sparked the 49ers’ offense. The sophomore finished the half with 10 points and six rebounds to pace LBSU.

The 49ers’ defense helped them earn the lead as it held UCR scoreless for close to seven minutes in the half.

LBSU will next travel to take on Cal State Fullerton on Thursday at Titan Gym. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.