Sports, Women's Basketball

Slow start buries LBSU women in Davis

DAVIS – Sometimes, it can be tough to win a game after getting off to a bad start.

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team suffered an 80-68 loss on the road at UC Davis, Thursday evening at The Pavilion in front of 910 spectators.

LBSU (11-14, 7-5 Big West Conference) appeared to be overwhelmed by the aggressive trap defense implemented by UCD in the opening minutes of the contest, which lead to numerous early turnovers.

“That’s a tough defense,” 49er head coach Jody Wynn said. “You don’t face it all year and you try to prepare for it in practice, but it’s hard without the bodies to prepare for it.”

Eight turnovers by the 49ers during the first eight minutes of action would end up hurting them as the Aggies converted those miscues into 12 points — their margin of victory.

UCD (17-8, 9-3 Big West) raced out to a 22-2 lead with 11:59 remaining in the first half.
The Beach was held scoreless for 10 minutes until senior forward Brett Timmons scored a bucket in the paint.

LBSU’s offense was cold during the opening half, making just 27.3 percent (6-for-22) of its field goals, including a dismal 21.4 percent (3-for-14) showing from 3-point range.

The 49ers concluded the half with almost as many turnovers (18) as they had shot attempts (22), and went into the locker room down by, 48-19.

Wynn said she raised issues about the team’s heart and toughness during halftime. She let players know that if they wanted to quit, she would tell the opposing coach that they’ll see them next week at the Pyramid.

“If not, let’s go and finish this game hard like the warriors that we’ve become,” Wynn told her players.

The Beach trailed by as many as 39 points early in the second half before going on a torrid 35-8 run.

Senior guard Karina Figueroa kicked off the run by completing a three point play and then found Ally Wade for 3-pointer.

After a basket by Timmons, Wade knocked down another 3 and Figueroa scored on a jumper.

A pair of Figueroa free-throws and back-to-back 3s from Melanie Lisnock cut the UCD lead to 74-50 with 5:34 on the clock.

The 49ers rattled off 14 more points and held the Aggies scoreless for four minutes, pulling to within 10 with 2:14 remaining, but were unable to overcome the deficit.

“Another five more minutes, and it could’ve been a different outcome,” Wynn said. “As poorly as we played in the first half with 19 points, we turned around and had 49 on them in the second half because we were the aggressors.”

LBSU improved its shooting in the second half, completing 42.4 percent (14-of-33) of its field goals and 44.4 percent (8-of-18) of shots from beyond the arc. The Beach also sank 13-of-14 foul shots (92.9 perecent) after the break.

Wade and Figueroa each finished with 21 points to lead The Beach.

Wade drained a career-high six 3-pointers, while Figueroa displayed a 12-for-12 effort from the charity stripe in the second half. Lisnock added 13 points for ‘Niners, including four 3-pointers.

UCD was lead by Paige Mintun’s 22 points. Vicky Deely scored 15, while Lauren Juric and Kasey Riecks chipped in with 11 and 10, respectively.

LBSU and UCD meet again next Thursday, Feb.25 at the Pyramid.

Looking ahead to the rematch Wynn said, “We’re definitely going to work on attacking their traps better.”

Long Beach wraps up its Nor Cal trip with a 3 p.m. matchup against Pacific on Saturday.