Baseball, Softball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: April 10

Baseball: Dirtbags split Saturday doubleheader

Game 1 Box Score
Game 2 Box score

Branden Pinder tossed a complete-game shutout and TJ Mittelstaedt tied a season-high with five hits as Long Beach State (14-14, 3-3 Big West Conference) salvaged a doubleheader split with an 11-0 win in game two against UC Davis on Saturday.

Pinder’s shutout performance was the first complete game of his career, and he became the final member of the starting rotation to pick up a complete game.

The Dirtbags were one off a season high with 18 hits, including five from Mittelstaedt and three apiece from Devin Lohman and Joey Terdoslavich.

Lohman doubled to start the contest and scored on an RBI-groundout by Jonathan Jones. After hits from Terdoslavich and Brennan Metzger, Steve Tinoco drove in both runners to give the Dirtbags a 3-0 lead.

LBSU scored three more runs in the fourth inning on four hits, and another three runs in the seventh frame.

UC Davis 10, Long Beach State 8

The Dirtbags allowed six runs in the second inning to fall, 10-8, in the first game.

LBSU starter Jake Thompson lost the strike zone after allowing a hit to Seth Batty and eventually allowed six runs in the second frame to spot UCD an 8-0 lead.

Trailing 10-2 after six innings, the Dirtbags mounted a comeback after scoring three runs in the seventh inning on five hits, and added three more in the ninth, but the Aggies’ Matthew Lewis came in and earned his second save of the season by getting the last two outs.

LBSU returns home on Tuesday to host Loyola Marymount in a nonconference game. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.

Softball: Petty tosses shutout to complete two-game sweep

Game 1 Box Score
Game 2 Box Score

The 49ers (19-17, 3-2 Big West) picked up a doubleheader sweep over Cal State Northridge Saturday afternoon at Matador Diamond.

Taylor Petty tossed a two-hit shutout to lead the 49ers to a 1-0 victory in the second game.

The sophomore had a no-hitter heading into the fourth inning and allowed just two singles, while striking out six.

Junior Liz Javier finished with a hit and scored the only run of the game. Nalani St. Germain, Brandy Reyes and Kristen Pocock also collected a hit.

The Beach pushed the eventual game-winner across in the second inning when St. Germain drew a bases-loaded walk.

The Matadors’ (17-20, 1-4 Big West) best opportunity to get on the board came in the sixth frame when they loaded the bases with a hit batter, a single and a walk, but Petty got out of the jam by striking out Tracy Allen.

Long Beach State 6, Cal State Northridge 4

Junior Bridgette Pagano (3-1) picked up the win, allowing one run on three hits in 4.0 innings of relief as the 49ers came back from a 3-0 deficit to take the first game.

The 49ers tallied 10 hits, with St. Germain, Reyes, and Bree Stephan all going 2-for-4. Junior Christina Schallig finished with two runs scored and connected for her first home run of the season.

Down 3-0, the 49ers got on the board after Schallig hammered a solo shot over the left field fence. LBSU tied the game in the top of the fifth on a Reyes RBI-single to bring home Caitrin DeBaun and even the score at 3-3.

LBSU took the lead in the sixth before adding a pair of insurance runs in the final frame with RBIs from Ashley Levine and Stephan.

CSUN threatened in the bottom half of the seventh inning as Jennifer Mosier connected for an RBI double, but Pagano got Jaci Carlsen to fly out to end the game.

LBSU goes for the series sweep on Sunday at noon.

Women’s Tennis: LBSU wraps up undefeated Big West regular season run

The 49ers (16-3, 8-0 Big West) dropped the doubles point but came back to sweep all six singles matches in a 6-1 win at Cal State Northridge.

No. 125 Jaklin Alawi collected a 6-2, 6-2, win at No. 1 singles over Nina Jaworowski, while Anais Dallara defeated Brooke Doane, 6-2, 6-1 at No. 2 singles. Deborah Armstrong and Sarah Cantlay picked up straight-set wins at No. 3 and No. 6 singles, respectively.

Julie Luzar won in three sets over Maria Pistalu 3-6, 6-3, 6-2. Rachel Manasse’s match at No. 4 singles went into a third set tiebreaker before she edged Whitney Paluch 3-6, 6-3, 11-9.

Alawi and Manasse picked up the lone LBSU win at No. 1 doubles, defeating Doane and Anna Yang 8-7

The Beach returns to the Rhodes Tennis Center on Sunday to host No. 52 St. Mary’s (Calif.) at 11 a.m.