Soccer, Sports

LBSU heading into Big West with momentum

The Long Beach State women’s soccer team couldn’t have picked a better time to find its groove.

After outscoring their opponents 7-3 en route to a three-game winning streak, the resurgent 49ers (7-3-1) kick off Big West Conference action Friday at 3 p.m. against the Cal Poly Mustangs (5-5-0) at George Allen Field.

“They’re a very tough opponent with good tradition,” head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said of Cal Poly. “We have to look to find a way to win and stick to what we do best.”

Junior forward Jazz Strozier has been cleared to play after being sidelined for the last five games with a flared meniscus — cartilage in the knee — and is expected to play on Friday, Ingrassia said.

The 49ers will also play host to the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (4-4-2) on Sunday at 1 p.m.

After winning three consecutive Big West regular-season titles, The Beach missed the postseason last year with a dismal 5-11-3 record. As a result, LBSU was picked to finish sixth in the preseason poll by the league’s coaches.

However, The Beach has soared above expectations, ranking second in the overall standings behind UC Irvine (8-1-2).

“We had 18 new players last year and we struggled,” Ingrassia said. “It’s no secret that our players have went to work this year and they’re a year older now.”

Tied for the conference lead in goals, sophomore forward Nadia Link has anchored The Beach’s offense with six scores this season — two of which were game-winners.

Junior goalkeeper Emily Kingsborough has paced the ‘Niners to a strong defensive start with a 1.11 goals against average, .800 save percentage and three shutouts. The reigning Big West Defensive Player of the Week also earned the honor earlier this season following victories over then-No. 21 Washington State and then-No. 16 Virginia Tech.

“She has worked hard physically and mentally to improve her game and I think she would attribute [her success] to her backline, as well,” Ingrassia said.

The ‘Niners have proven their resiliency throughout the year with three game-winning goals in the last 15 minutes of regulation.

Their 3-2 record against nationally ranked opponents shows that the ‘Niners can play with anyone.

Tabbed to finish second in the preseason poll, Cal Poly split its last two contests with a loss to Pepperdine on Friday, 1-0, before defeating San Diego State by the same score on Sunday.

The Mustangs enter Friday’s match in fourth place in the league’s standings, second in goals scored (15) and last in goals allowed (18).

Nonetheless, LBSU’s backline is likely to have their hands full with Cal Poly forward Whitney Sisler. Her team-leading six goals this season are tied for the conference best with Link and UCI’s Tanya Taylor.

The only common foe the Mustangs and ‘Niners shared in nonconference play was Utah State, which notched a 3-2 overtime victory over Cal Poly after suffering a 2-1 defeat against LBSU a week before.

The Beach trails the all-time series against Cal Poly, 4-8-2. The last meeting resulted in a 1-0 victory at home for the Mustangs.

Picked as the preseason favorite to win the conference, defending Big West champion UC Santa Barbara will open up Big West play Friday on the road against UC Riverside before facing LBSU on Sunday.

“[UCSB is] an explosive team,” Ingrassia said. “Even though they’ve struggled, they’re a team that can come alive anytime so we’re going to have to earn that one, as well.”

The Gauchos’ last match resulted in a scoreless draw against Fresno State, which lost 1-0 to LBSU in the first week of the season.

Heading into conference play, UCSB is ranked fifth in the standings, tied for fourth in goals scored (13) and second in fewest goals allowed (10).

Although Erica Seidman has paced the Gauchos’ offense with a team-leading three goals, offensive struggles are at the root of UCSB’s struggles. After scoring nine goals in their first three games (all wins), the Gauchos have managed four scores in their last seven en route to a 1-4-2 record in that span.

However, goalkeeper Makenna Henry may cause problems for The Beach’s offense.

Her four shutouts are tied for the conference lead, while her save percentage (.829) and goals against average (0.63) rank second among goalkeepers in the conference.

The Gauchos lead the all-time series against LBSU, 10-8-2. UCSB edged the ‘Niners the last time around in a 3-2 overtime victory.

The 23rd-ranked UC Irvine Anteaters (8-1-2) enter Big West Conference action with a league-leading, eight-game unbeaten streak that has catapulted them into the national rankings for the first time in school history.

UCI has played impressively against ranked opponents, posting a 2-0-1 record. In addition, the Anteaters tied then-No. 14 California, which pummeled LBSU for six goals earlier this season.

UCI leads the league in every major offensive category with 25 goals, 76 points and 26 assists.

Tabbed to finish last in the preseason conference poll, the UC Davis Aggies (5-3-1) begin league play against Cal State Fullerton with the third-best record.

The Aggies have excelled on defense this season, leading the league with the fewest goals allowed (9), and tied for shutouts (4).

Pacific (3-4-3) enters conference action in sixth with one win over the last seven games.

Rounding out the bottom half of the Big West are Cal State Northridge (4-5-0), Cal State Fullerton (3-6-0) and UC Riverside (1-7-2).