Softball, Sports

‘Niners stride into Big West play

The Long Beach State softball team wrapped up its non-conference schedule with a 5-2 win over Loyola Marymount on Wednesday and will begin Big West Conference play next week.

Sophomore starting pitcher Erin Jones-Wesley tossed a complete-game to lead the ‘Niners to the three-run victory. Freshman Leilani Tupua-Tautalatasi and junior Nalani St. Germain each produced two-RBI performances as the 49ers improved their record to 12-18 on the season.

Loyola Marymount’s Sam Fischer had one of the few solid hits against Jones-Wesley, as she slugged her 14th home run of season. Fischer is one of the nation’s top hitters, but was unable to help her team overcome a four-run fourth inning outburst by the 49ers. It was big win for LBSU, which needed the momentum heading into an ever-important Big West schedule.

A Big West title is currently the 49ers’ only way to make the NCAA tournament. With 18 losses already this season, it’s nearly impossible for them to receive an at-large bid. As conference champions, however, they would automatically qualify for the NCAA tournament.

The ‘Niners opened the year as co-favorites to win the Big West, tying with Pacific atop the preseason coaches’ poll with four first-place votes apiece. After the season LBSU has had so far, however, Sowder doesn’t have any specific expectations for conference play.

“We’ve had a lot of changes throughout the season with injuries, so it’s hard to kind of set expectations at this point,” Sowder said. “It’s really just up to us to decide how good we really want to be.”

At 14-12, Pacific is the only Big West team to make it through nonconference play with a winning record. The Tigers field an experienced team led by senior Nicole Matson, who has 7 home runs and 25 RBI so far this season.

“Pacific is definitely the frontrunner, they won last year and they have their entire team back,” Sowder said. “But in this conference every team can beat any other team on any given day.”

Aside from Pacific, Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside provide the biggest tests.

Fullerton has had a historically strong softball program and finished third in the Big West preseason poll. This season, the Titans have relied heavily on their offense, as a 5.79 team ERA hasn’t done them any favors defensively.

UC Riverside is without a doubt the surprise team so far, as it was given little respect in the preseason poll – finishing last. At 12-14, however, the Highlanders sport the second-best record in the Big West. They are led by junior outfielder Kayla White, who is hitting .342 with 4 home runs, 4 triples and 26 RBI.

The 49ers will open conference play with a road trip to Santa Barbara on March 31. The end of the season is where things could get interesting, as they will face Fullerton and Pacific to close out the year.

“We’re going to focus just on that first Santa Barbara game and go from there,” Sowder said. “Hopefully we’re in position at the end where those games count.”