Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Women’s volleyball completes weekend sweep

With its fourth consecutive win, the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team kept its slim hopes of a postseason berth alive.

The Beach (15-11, 10-5 Big West Conference) defeated UC Riverside (7-21, 1-13 Big West) in straight sets (25-14, 25-17, 25-23) without much resistance Saturday night at the Walter Pyramid.

LBSU head coach Brian Gimmillaro said the team has become closer throughout the season and has found ways to win despite being continuously short-handed.

“They work really hard,” he said. “Athletically they’re pretty good, just inexperienced. There’s a really nice, strong, caring bond to the team. It’s enjoyable to coach them.”

Senior outside hitter Janisa Johnson and sophomore middle blocker Chisom Okpala anchored the 49er attack with solid play throughout the match.

Johnson compiled a double-double with 12 kills (including set clinchers in the first and third) and 17 digs on .379 hitting while not letting much of anything get past her in the back row.

Okpala added 11 kills and five total blocks while hitting at a .304 clip.

The only adversity came when the Highlanders led 23-20 and threatened to force a fourth set. The Beach responded with five straight points to seal the match, including back-to back aces by senior libero Libby Fontanilla.

“My first thought is just ace,” the libero said. “I just go back there and serve as hard as I can in the spot that I want it to go to. After I get the (first) one I become more confident. Usually I kind of go a little easier on my first serve, then just go up and rip it.”

Fontanilla finished the night with four total aces and ten digs.

“She was great,” Gimmillaro said. “Her serves, her leadership, her coverage, just her involvement out there. She’s just a really good senior and an excellent libero. It was just wonderful how she played at the end.”

Freshman Ashley Cox paced Riverside with a match-high 13 kills and 14 digs on .093 hitting. Senior outside hitter Amanda Vialpando added 11 kills for the Highlanders.

LBSU returns to the court Saturday at 7 p.m. when it hosts UC Irvine (10-19, 5-10 Big West) on Senior Night.