Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

LBSU to play without star Hampton in Bay Area Challenge

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team may have lost much more than two matches over the weekend, as junior middle blocker Haleigh Hampton was injured in the final game and will miss the Bay Area Challenge, according to head coach Brian Gimmillaro.

During the second set of a three-set loss to No. 17 Kentucky on Sunday night, Hampton landed on the court somewhat awkwardly, injuring her left knee.

Outside of being unavailable for the upcoming weekend, there is no immediate timetable set for her return, but she is expected back this season after missing all of last year due to a shoulder injury.

Junior Chisom Okpala, who earned honorable mention All-American recognition in Hampton’s absence last season, will fill in as a starter.
Okpala compiled 303 kills, 124 total blocks and 47 digs on .328 hitting last season.

In addition to Okpala, six-foot-two freshman middle blocker Hayley Roberts has been activated and began practicing Wednesday.

Roberts was a four-time all-area selection during her time at Liberty High School in Bakersfield.

“Haylee [Roberts] is a good middle blocker but is also a versatile player that can be used in various positions,” Gimmillaro told Long Beach State Athletics.

After going 1-2 in the season-opening Long Beach State Mizuno Invitational, the ‘Niners will travel to San Francisco, this time for three matches in two days in the Bay Area Challenge.

The Beach will play two matches on Friday, first against Air Force at 1 p.m. and then a nightcap with USF at 6:30. On Saturday, the 49ers will round-out the event against Miami at 1 p.m.

Tournament host San Francisco (0-3) is led by junior outside hitter Anja Segota, who tallied 18 kills and seven digs on .455 in the Dons’ last match, a 3-1 loss to North Carolina.

Gimmillaro said he was encouraged by the way the team played in the opener, but playing ranked opponents two straight nights was just too much at this point in the season.

“I thought that we played Long Beach State volleyball in the first game [a win over Illinos],” he said. “The second game [a five-set loss against No. 18 Florida State] just got away from us, and then losing Haleigh the next day was just very difficult.”

Gimmillaro credited senior outside hitter Delainey Aigner-Swesey for her expanded leadership role and continued development.

“Delainey is good,” he said. “She is a very good all-around player, does very well and I’m happy to see her develop. She’s acting like a senior.”

Aigner-Swesey leads The Beach through three matches with 42 kills to go along with 25 digs on .265 hitting.