Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Long Beach State still bothered by injury, set to host Titans, Highlanders

After splitting two games on the road last week, the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team will come back to the Walter Pyramid this weekend to host Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside.

Head coach Brian Gimmillaro said he is trying to focus his attention on improving his team instead of concentrating on opponents.

“It doesn’t matter who’s on the other side [of the net] if we are well-prepared,” Gimmillaro said. “We know the tendencies of other teams, but it is all about whether we can execute or not.”

Although he is focused on his own team, Gimmillaro said that CSUF and UCR are both athletic and well-coached teams.

“[UCR] is a new team and trying to put to it together, but you’d be surprised at their athletic ability,” he said. “[CSUF] is skilled and experienced, and is big in the positions where they need to be big in.”

The 49ers (9-9, 2-3 Big West Conference) are still struggling with having Haleigh Hampton and Delainey Aigner-Swesey excluded from practice because of injury. Gimmillaro said the two are expected to play in this weekend’s games, though.

Bre Mackie, who has been hampered by an ankle injury, has been able to practice and will also play.

CSUF (9-7, Big West 2-2) has compiled a record that almost mirrors the 49ers’. The Titans are led defensively by Holland Crenshaw and Leah Best. Crenshaw has 45 blocks, and Best has a team-leading nine solo blocks. McKenna Painton leads the Titans in digs while Alyse Hensley leads in kills.

UCR (1-15, Big West 0-4) has had a rough start to conference play. It has won only one set in four matches, a 25-18 win in set two against UC Davis. The Highlanders are led by Cristina Maietta in kills (144), Tyler Dorsey in blocks (35) and Maddie Hubbell in digs (209).

The 49ers will host CSUF this Friday and UCR on Saturday. Both matches will start at 7 p.m. at the Walter Pyramid.