Men's Sports, Men's Volleyball, Sports

LBSU loses second straight in sweep by USC

The Long Beach State men’s volleyball team continues to struggle finding its rhythm after getting swept in a heart-clenching three-game match against Southern California, ending with scores of 25-19, 25-22 and 33-31.

The Trojans (4-1, 3-1 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) exhibited immense effort both defensively and offensively, making it difficult for the 49ers to get ahead throughout the night.

“In volleyball, effort points come from digs and winning long rallies,” head coach Alan Knipe said. “We generally do well in those areas, but tonight, we didn’t. We got out-dug and out-blocked a decent number, and most of the long rallies didn’t go our way.”

The 49ers (3-3, 2-3 MPSF) trailed almost the entire first set, and although they were able to follow close behind by two points, the Trojans’ consecutive blocks gave them a four-point run to put them up by six at 23-17 and quickly ended the set at 25-19.

Motivation from the 49ers showed in the second set as they led the first half with kills from seniors Dalton Ammerman, Ian Satterfield and Jeff Ornee. After the 49ers lost control of their passing, USC freshman Lucas Yoder gained the lead for his team with three straight kills at 23-19. A Taylor Gregory and Satterfield kill gave the 49ers hope at 24-22, but Satterfield’s service error ended the match at 25-22.

The 49ers’ skyrocketed intensity defined the third set with 20 tie scores and seven lead changes as they battled to force a fourth set. They were up by four points at 19-15, but a five-point run from the Trojans closed the lead and tied the set at 20-20. Nine game-point moments put the fans on their feet as neither team led by more than one point. But Yoder’s unstoppable hits devastated the 49ers, and USC took the set at 33-31.

Disappointed lingered in the gym even an hour after the match ended.

“It’s embarrassing for us because this isn’t us,” Ammerman said. “We pride ourselves on playing with passion and we know we’re a better team than what we showed tonight. The first thing we need to work on is getting motivated to compete.”

Knipe said he knows what his team needs to do to perform better and to win the next match.

“We need to bring a significantly better intensity level,” Knipe said. “But it’s easier when you’re making plays. Energy comes from the players when we play well.”

The 49ers will next take on No. 2 Pepperdine on Friday in the Walter Pyramid. The match is set for 7 p.m.