Softball, Sports, Women's Sports

Softball team to face rivals on television

The Long Beach State softball team will look to stay perfect in conference play as it goes on the road to face rival Cal State Fullerton. The 49ers’ 9-0 record is the best conference start in school history.

The 49ers (32-9) won’t have their normal practice schedule and rest, as the series starts on Wednesday and finishes on Thursday with a double-header. Head coach Kim Sowder, though, isn’t worried about the quick turnaround.

“We had a day off yesterday,” Sowder said. “We got a little bit of rest. We’ll have a good practice today and talk about Fullerton a little bit. I think both teams are in the same situation, so it’s no advantage or disadvantage to either team.”

CSUF (24-17-1) got off to an excellent start this season, winning eight out of its first nine games. The Titans are just 5-4 in conference after losing two out of three against UC Riverside. The Titans, however, have one of the best hitters in the Big West in Missy Taukeiaho. Not only does the infielder lead the conference in home runs with 13, she’s also hitting an impressive .413.

A major reason for the 49ers’ success has been the contributions from their seniors. The 49ers have eight seniors, six of which have been major contributors on the field. All, though, have been crucial to the team’s chemistry.

“[Seniors] have shown great leadership, along with the junior class,” Sowder said. “They’re working together; working really hard in practice. I’m really proud of them.”

One senior who the 49ers have leaned heavily on is pitcher Erin Jones-Wesley, who continues to cement her place not only in Long Beach State history but also in the Big West Conference. Jones-Wesley was named the Big West pitcher of the year after two more complete game victories. She has now been honored a Big West record 15 times in her career. The previous record holder was Long Beach States’ own Brook Turner, who won the award 14 times from 2008- 2011.

With the exception of oft-used right-hander Ariana Erceg, who’s dealing with an elbow issue, the 49ers are the healthiest they’ve been since the start of the season.

“A couple aches and pains, but nothing that’s going to keep anyone from playing,” Sowder said.

The series against Fullerton will be the third consecutive series that’ll be shown on the ESPN family of networks. All three games against Hawaii were shown on ESPN 3. The first game will be broadcast on ESPNU, with Thursday’s double-header on ESPN 3. The 49ers have yet to lose a contest in front of a major TV audience.

With the team on pace to being one of the best in school history, Sowder said it’s important to maintain focus on their goals.

“We’re off to a good start, but that’s all it is, a start,” Sowder said. “We’ve got a long way to go, a lot of games to where we’d like to be. They’re playing well right now and I’m really happy with the way they’re playing.”