Softball, Sports, Women's Sports

Long Beach State’s 11-game winning streak ends at Fullerton

As their 11 game winning streak came to a screeching halt, the Long Beach State softball team was able to salvage a game in its road series against rival Cal State Fullerton.

The 49ers (33-11, 10-2 Big West) saw their perfect conference record end last Wednesday as Cal State Fullerton (26-18-1, 7-5) dominated them in back-to-back games. The 49ers offense was held to just one run the first two games of the series, completely uncharacteristic of a group that’s been able to score runs in its sleep.

Erin Jones-Wesley, the 49ers’ ace, couldn’t get out of the third inning, giving up three earned runs on five hits. No. 2 Amanda Hansen fared much worse in relief, giving up four earned runs on seven hits in just an inning and two thirds.

It seems odd to give Jones-Wesley such a short leash given her performance this year. Head coach Kim Sowder, though, has mentioned Jones-Wesley’s stretches of wildness and perhaps thought Hansen gave the team a better chance.

The 49ers finally showed off the firepower that’s carried them to first place in the Big West in the series finale Thursday. The second game of a double-header was a thriller, as junior Leilani Tupua-Tautalatasi set a new school record with six RBIs.

With the 49ers down 6-0 after the first twin innings, the 49ers rallied for three runs before Tupua-Tautalatasi tied the game with a three-run homer in the top of the sixth. A walk from Ashlynn Booker, followed by singles from Sarah Carrasco and Lauren Lombardi gave the 49ers the lead for good in the top of the seventh. The 49ers scored eight unanswered runs to finish the game.

The 49ers will have to be at their best when playing a double-header at Mayfair Park at 4:30 p.m. against the No. 2 team in the country UCLA today. Earlier in the season, a game at Mayfair Park between the schools was canceled due to rain. UCLA (39-4) (12-3) will be the highest ranked opponent the 49ers face this year.