Softball, Sports, Women's Sports

Softball postseason cut short with two losses to Notre Dame

A thrilling season, highlighted by record-setting offensive numbers, came to an end for the Long Beach State softball team on Saturday after losing two out of three in the Los Angeles Regional at UCLA.

The 49ers finished with a 39-19 record overall, the most wins they’ve had in a season since 2008 when they went 40-17. This year also marked the fifth time in head coach Kim Sowder’s eight year tenure as head coach that the team has made the postseason. Unfortunately, this year’s results are the same, with the team unable to make it out of regionals.

The 49ers began their postseason journey last Friday with an 8-0 loss to Notre Dame. They then faced Southern Utah, who lost its first game to UCLA. The 49ers faired better in their matchup against Southern Utah, defeating the Thunderbirds 9-6. The Fighting Irish ultimately ended the 49ers’ chances of winning after losing to them again 10-1.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment was that the 49ers’ prolific offense was held in check, for the most part. They managed to score only 10 runs over the three games without hitting a single home run. The pitching was none too impressive either, as Erin Jones-Wesley and Amanda Hansen struggled mightily in their starts.

Despite the early exit, the 49ers can look back and be happy about a lot of what they accomplished. The team set new records for batting average (.306), runs scored (3.18), runs batted in (2.89) and doubles (74); all this en route to capturing the eighth Big West Conference championship in school history.

In addition to setting new offensive records, several 49er players garnered individual honors for their outstanding performances throughout the season. Junior shortstop Shayna Kimbrough was named the Big West Defensive Player of the Year, this after being named the Big West Player of the Year last year. She  was the first Big West Defensive Player of the Year in school history.

Five 49ers were selected as first-team All-Big West Conference: Kimbrough, second baseman Cya Neal, first baseman Ashlynn Booker and pitchers Jones-Wesley and Hansen. This is Kimbrough’s second first-team selection, while Booker and Hansen made their first appearance. Jones-Wesley became just the fourth player in Big West history to be selected four times to the first team.

The accolades didn’t stop there. Not only was Sowder named the Big West Coach of the Year, but three 49ers, Neal, Jones-Wesley and Booker, were the National Fastpitch Coaches Association All-Region selections. According to the 49ers’ website, the West Region for the NFCA represents the membership of four conferences: the Pac-12, Big West, West Coast and Western Athletic conferences. Honorees are then ranked by team by either first, second or third, as well as being separated by position.

Neal was selected to the second team, while Jones-Wesley and Booker earned third team honors.

Though their softball careers are now over, the graduating seniors have their futures to look forward to. Jones-Wesley says she’s excited for what’s ahead.

“I have an internship to work at the MLB Urban Youth Academy over the summer,” she said. “I’ll be kind of coaching and doing some administration work. I want to go into media relations for like a pro baseball team or pro basketball team. But if I also got the opportunity to do sports commentary, I would also do that.”