Soccer, Sports, Women's Sports

Women’s soccer looks to finish its four-game homestand after two big wins

Back-to-back comeback wins against a pair of tough opponents propelled the Long Beach State women’s soccer team to a top-25 NCAA ranking.

The 49ers (2-1-1) are ranked 23rd in the country, and have made a habit of going down early and stealing games late. Sophomore forward Mimi Rangel expressed mixed feelings on how her team has been performing.

“It’s a good thing that we can come in second half after playing the first half with all that energy and just pretty much dominate and kill the teams,” Rangel said. “It’s a bad thing that we don’t perform like that in the first half and take care of business.”

The 49ers will face the University of San Diego and Cal State Bakersfield this weekend at the George Allen Field.

Outside of their 5-0 victory against Michigan, the USD Toreros (1-2-1) have struggled to get their footing. They’re coming off a 2-0 loss to UCLA, and despite have a losing record, they’ve still outscored their opponents 7-6.

“It’s a tough schedule that can really boost you if you can navigate through it,” Ingrassia said. “We got some big games coming up, so we need confidence and get some better results.”

Bakersfield has struggled against weak competition; opponents have outscored the team 12-2 this season. The 49ers will find some reprieve in their second game of the weekend against the Roadrunners (0-4-0).

A pair of 49ers earned individual league honors this week. Freshman forward Ashley Gonzales won Big West Offensive Player of the week. Gonzales scored two goals in the win against Georgia, including a late game-winner that saved the 49ers.

Junior Melanie Fox earned Big West Defensive Player of the Week, having started and played both games in their entirety. She was crucial in setting up a scoring play that led to an Ashley Gonzales goal against Georgia. It’s the first career weekly honors for both players.

“I’ve spent a decade here now,” head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said. “I just look back at all the players that have come through here and…I’m really proud of the program and [of] all my players through all the years and [their] hard work. I have a great coaching staff, and it just feels really good.”