Former Dirtbags face each other in MLB’s postseason

Of the 14 active Long Beach State Dirtbags in the MLB, six of them will be playing in the postseason this year. They each played a different role in their respective teams’ success, but they will all have an opportunity to make an impact in their respective series.

The Dirtbag who is expected to have the biggest impact on his team’s chances of winning is the Los Angeles Angels’ right-hander Jered Weaver. The Angels used an explosive offense, led by MVP favorite Mike Trout and first baseman Albert Pujols, to win their first division title since 2009.

The Angels have spent a fortune on free-agent signings in the last few years, but their chance of advancing in the postseason is with a dominant Weaver. Weaver had another solid season, tied for first in the American League with 18 wins to go along with his 3.51 ERA.

With star right-hander Garrett Richards going down with a severe knee injury, the Angels’ next best starter is C.J. Wilson, who had his worst year as a starter with a 4.51 ERA. A lot will rest on Weaver’s shoulders, but he’s proven before that he can carry a team.

The Royals are in the playoffs for the first time since 1985, and left-hander Jason Vargas is a big reason why. The former Dirtbag, who was signed as a free agent over the winter, turned in one of the best seasons of his career, going 11-10 with a career best 3.71 ERA. He also made 30 plus starts for the fourth time in five years.

Kansas City has very good pitching overall, and they will lean on Vargas to be the reliable No. 3 starter he’s been all year.

A pair of former Dirtbags helped the Pittsburgh Pirates reach the postseason for the second consecutive year. Right-handers Vance Worley and Jared Hughes gave the Pirates quality innings out of the rotation and bullpen, respectively. Worley had a resurgence in Pittsburgh after a dismal year last year with the Minnesota Twins, going 8-4 with a career best 2.85 ERA.

Hughes didn’t have the same impact as Worley, but the right-hander was still one of the best relievers in baseball. The former Dirtbag had a 1.96 ERA in 63 innings, both ranking among the best for qualified relievers.

A team’s bench could be the difference between winning and losing a game, especially in the postseason. The Washington Nationals have the luxury of a switch-hitting infielder capable of hitting for power and playing three positions.

Danny Espinosa struggled this year offensively, with a lack of playing time contributing to his regression. He’s still a valuable piece though, with his skill set setting him apart from most role players.

Matt Duffy wasn’t a major contributor for the San Francisco Giants, playing in only 34 games and hitting a modest .267. But the former Dirtbag has the trust of manager Bruce Bochy, and he will be valuable as a late inning defensive replacement at any infield position. Duffy’s defensive versatility could play a huge role for the Giants.