Savoring every minute, hoping for success

With just over six months left until graduation, the seniors on the Long Beach State men’s basketball team hope to win one last season together.

On a roster that has seen a surge of young talent, point guard Mike Caffey, shooting guard Tyler Lamb, forward David Samuels, guard McKay LaSalle and forward Eric McKnight have taken it upon themselves to be leaders to the new generation of basketball stars at LBSU.

“We get on [the freshmen] a lot,” Samuels said. “We hold them accountable for what they do because after this year, we’re gone.”

Some have remained focused on the upcoming season, hoping the games would serve as a distraction to the fact that their college careers are coming to an end.

“It really hasn’t hit me yet,” Caffey said. “It’ll probably hit me towards the end of the year, but right now, it’s not what’s on my mind.”

Head coach Dan Monson said he has seen the change in his seniors, both in practice and in exhibition games. He singled out Samuels, who he thinks takes things more seriously.

“I think when you come from junior college, you don’t really realize the magnitude and intensity [of Division I college basketball],” Monson said. “I think he’s got that senior urgency more than anything. I think he’s more urgent as a whole and play-by-play, so that’s been good to see.”

Freshmen aren’t the only new additions to the 49ers. Senior forward Eric McKnight transferred from Florida Gulf Coast University and was a key member of the team that advanced to the Sweet Sixteen two years ago.

“I think [McKnight] is very crucial for us because we don’t have anybody like him,” Monson said. “He’s 6’9, he’s long, he can defend the rim, he can finish at the basket and he runs well for a big kid. He’s been a nice addition to stretch the defense for us and protect the basket defensively.”

Monson has said multiple times this is the deepest team in school history, and it will have to perform at that level as senior guard A.J. Spencer is out for the season after tearing his ACL during practice.

“With A.J. out, that takes a little bit of everything out because he was an all-around player,” Lamb said. “He could get rebounds, steals, assists and score. I don’t personally take it all on myself, but I think as a team, everybody needs to step up in place of A.J. because we lost an experienced starting guard.”

Lamb, who transferred from UCLA last year, said he’s enjoying his final preseason.

“It’s different when you’re a sophomore, freshman or junior,” Lamb said. “You’re like dang, this seems like forever. But as a senior, you kind of just learn to appreciate everything and savor everyday because you don’t get that day back”

“It’s bittersweet,” Samuels said. “It feels good, and I’m a little sad. But I’m ready to work.”