Home sweet home

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team dismantled Fresno Pacific Saturday in an 81-46 win to snap its six-game losing streak and remain undefeated at the Walter Pyramid.

The 49ers (6-10) improved to 4-0 at home with an impressive defensive performance in front of their home crowd. The victory ended a near month-long, six-game road losing streak for LBSU, all of which came against quality opponents.

Of the six losses, four came against nationally ranked opponents – San Diego State, Texas, St. Johns and Louisville. Head coach Dan Monson said despite the lopsided defeats, there was a lot the team gained from facing so many tough schools.

“I think you get a lot out of playing really good competition,” Monson said. “I don’t think kids need a lot of games to build their confidence. I think they have a lot of confidence when they get to this level.”

The Beach held Division II Fresno Pacific (5-7) to 20 percent shooting in the first half, and it didn’t get much better for the Sunbirds in the second half. The Sunbirds shot 26 percent overall from the field on top turning the ball over 19 times.

The 49ers were without all-conference senior point guard Mike Caffey for most of the first half. Caffey only played the first five minutes of the game before he got into foul trouble and was subbed out. Monson said this was almost a blessing because it forced him to try different lineups and rest his point guard.

“We gave [Caffey] Monday off just to get his legs back,” Monson said. “He got most of today off too. With my experience as a coach, I just think it’s a long season, and the wear-and-tear of someone playing 21 minutes a game, I’m trying to get out in front of it.”

Despite playing only 14 minutes, Caffey still managed to hit a pair of 3s while grabbing four rebounds and dishing out three assists.

In Caffey’s absence, senior forward David Samuels, sophomore guard Branford Jones and freshman point guard Justin Bibbins carried the load offensively. Samuels led the 49ers with 16 points with Jones dropping 14 of his own.

“It really doesn’t feel any different,” Samuels said when asked about scoring a career high 16 points.

“The last couple of games I feel like I got into a groove,” Samuels said. “This one, it was just at home. I was glad to be home after all those away games.”

Bibbins ran the offense for most of the game, scoring nine points while getting three steals. He also led the team in minutes played with 28. Monson said Bibbins’ role has been difficult all year, playing behind an established starter.

“I know my role on this team,” Bibbins said. “I know what I have to do, so I just do what I can to help this team win. It just felt good to be out there and get into a rhythm and get my confidence up.”

The 49ers will now head to Irvine for a Thursday night game to begin Big West Conference play.