Softball, Sports, Women's Sports

LBSU softball’s head coach Kim Sowder speaks

How did you arrive at Long Beach State?

When I got to be 14 or 15, I got the opportunity to play on a top club team, the Panthers. I started to get little more focused on softball. I got offered a scholarship to LBSU from that club team. I had offers from different places, but LBSU at the time was a program that had just made it to the World Series the year before and I wanted to play for a top team in the country. And it was local, so a big part of my decision was being closer to my family.

When did you begin coaching softball?

The year after I graduated I was offered a position at [University of the Pacific]. They were in the same conference as ours, so I was very familiar with them. I coached there for two years, and then I was moving back [to Long Beach] because I was getting married and the assistant coaching position opened up [at LBSU]. So I as very fortunate to get the position and I’ve been here since.

You’re in your ninth year as head coach at LBSU, what are the differences between now and your first year?

It’s still the same to me, as the first year, because there is no manual for coaching on how to make decisions. You’re constantly building your philosophy and changing it. I continue to learn from my mistakes and experiences. I just want to continue to get better.

How is collegiate softball different now from when you were playing?

It’s awesome to see [how far] our sport has come. [When I was playing] there were a lot less teams. Now there’s more opportunity in the postseason because there are more teams. There’s more media coverage and fan support because of the media coverage. The facilities are unbelievable, the sponsorships, the gloves, the uniforms, there’s just more of everything, which is great.

How much longer do you see yourself coaching at LBSU?

I’d love to spend my whole career here. I love this university. You can’t find a better place and better people to work with. Coaches have been here longer than I have. I love the family feel, and obviously you can’t beat the location and the weather.

How would you sum up this season so far?

It’s been a little inconsistent. But, I really am pleased, with the tough schedule we’ve had and the tough losses, I’m really happy with the way the team has stuck together. I like the way we’ve found ways to win games at the end. I like the way that we’ve kind of continued to fight and believe in each other. [We still] have an opportunity to win the conference. Obviously now it’s not likely, but there’s still an outside chance.

What is most important to you when it comes to softball?

To me it’s to provide an environment and an atmosphere where these student athletes can come grow and reach their potential and come out of here more confident people, more knowledgeable and feel good about their experience.

What do you miss most about the seniors that leave every year?

When you coach these players, and watch them grow up from start to finish, you always grow close to them and it’s always tough to see people leave. But, I just enjoy watching them grow and I’ll continue to watch where they go after this. [What I’ll miss most] is their loyalty to the program; their passion for competing for our university and their commitment.

You missed senior first baseman Ashley Holmes through injury for almost the entire season, what did you lose in her absence?

She obviously has a huge bat. I think she could’ve really had a big impact as far as our offense and bringing in runs. Any time you lose a bat like that, with that experience, especially after having lost seven starters who were very strong offensively, every single one of them, to add another one to the list was unfortunate for us.

What do you expect from the incoming recruiting class?

We’ve got some good athletes coming in. I think Cielo Meza is somebody that we look to really contribute in the circle right away. She’s done extremely well in high school and travel ball, and I think that she’s got a lot of potential as a pitcher. I think she’ll come in and play a key role for us right away, as well as [Nicole] Fry. [Fry] is a shortstop and obviously with Shayna [Kimbrough] leaving we’re looking for her to come in and fill the shortstop position, which is going to be key.